Thomas Jefferson, Library of Congress
Religion and the Founding of the American Republic, Library of Congress
Section IV: “Religion and the Federal Government”
Rivers, Edens, Empires: Lewis & Clark and the Revealing of America, Library of Congress
• Prologue: //www.loc.gov/exhibits/lewisandclark/lewis-prologue.html
• Lewis and Clark: //www.loc.gov/exhibits/lewisandclark/lewis-landc.html
Temple of Liberty: Building the Capitol for a New Nation, Library of Congress
- Thomas Jefferson Papers, Manuscript Division, Library of Congress
- Thomas Jefferson Supplement Collection (134 titles), Rare Books and Special Collections Division, Library of Congress
- Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson. Compiled with Annotations by E. Millicent Sowerby
Resources for Teachers
- Lesson Plan: Thomas Jefferson's Library: Making the Case for a National Library
- Collection Connection: The Thomas Jefferson Papers
Title: Jefferson and His Legacy
Speaker: Joseph Ellis, Annette Gordon-Reed
Event Date: 07/25/2000
Running Time: 35 minutes
Other Related Sites
- Thomas Jefferson Monticello
http://www.monticello.org/ (external link)
- Thomas Jefferson Quotations
http://etext.virginia.edu/jefferson/quotations/ (external link)
- The Academy of Natural Sciences
http://www.ansp.org/museum/Jefferson/ (external link)
Things to Do
Thomas Jefferson Building, Virtual Tour, Library of Congress
Read More About It
- De Mooy, Kees, ed. The Wisdom of Thomas Jefferson. New York: Citadel Press, 2003.
- Ellis, Joseph. American Sphinx: The Character of Thomas Jefferson. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1997.
- Gordon-Reed, Annette. Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: An American Controversy. Charlottesville: University Press of Virginia, 1997. Jefferson, Thomas. Notes on the State of Virginia. David Waldstreicher, ed. New York: Palgrave, 2002.
- Maier, Pauline. American Scripture: Making the Declaration of Independence. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1997.
- Peterson, Merrill. The Jefferson Image in the American Mind. New York: Oxford University Press, 1988.
- Thomas Jefferson: Genius of Liberty. Introduction by Garry Wills. New York: Viking Studio in Association with the Library of Congress, 2000. Wilson, Douglas L. Jefferson’s Books. Charlottesville: Thomas Jefferson Memorial Foundation, 1996.
For Younger Readers
- Ferris, Jeri. Thomas Jefferson: Father of Liberty. Minneapolis: Carolrhoda Books, 1998.
- Gilbin, James Cross. Thomas Jefferson: A Picture Biography. Illustrated by Michael Dooling. New York: Scholastic, Inc., 1994.
- Harness, Cheryl. Thomas Jefferson. Washington, DC: National Geographic Society, 2004.
- Kukla, Amy and Jon Kukla. Thomas Jefferson: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit Happiness New York: Power Plus Books, 2005.
- Severance, John B. Thomas Jefferson: Architect of Democracy. New York: Clarion Books, 1998.