Film, VideoThe Evolving Moral Landscape: Perspectives on the Environment, Literary, Historical and Interplanetary Three scholars from three different disciplines discuss human perspectives on the environment and the moral implications of those views.
- Date: 2013-02-28
Film, VideoErnest Gaines: 2017 National Book Festival Ernest Gaines launches his new book "The Tragedy of Brady Sims" at the 2017 Library of Congress National Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
- Contributor: Gaines, Ernest
- Date: 2017-09-02
Film, VideoWhen Ink and Color Meet: The Art of Painting in the Shahnameh (Book of Kings) Massumeh Farhad participated in the Library's "A Thousand Years of the Persian Book" exhibit with her lecture on painting in the Shahnameh.
- Contributor: Farhad, Massumeh
- Date: 2014-05-21
Film, VideoThe Future of Cataloging and Librarianship The Asian Division and The Chinese American Librarians Association, Greater Mid-Atlantic Chapter, presented a lecture given by Associate Librarian for Library Services Deanna Marcum.
- Contributor: Marcum, Deanna
- Date: 2005-04-22
Film, VideoFirst Dads: Parenting & Politcs from George Washington to Barack Obama Journalist and historian Joshua Kendall discussed his new book, "First Dads: Parenting and Politics from George Washington to Barack Obama."
- Contributor: Kendall, Joshua
- Date: 2016-05-17
Film, VideoFrances Perkins, the Woman Behind FDR Although she is no longer a household name, Frances Perkins was one of the most influential people of the 20th century. Kirstin Downey discussed her new book, "The Woman Behind the New...
- Contributor: Downey, Kirstin
- Date: 2009-03-23
Film, VideoAnalyzing a Primary Source This film presents a short primary source analysis activity for teachers that includes observation, reflection and questioning.
- Contributor: Various
- Date: 2015
Film, VideoRoland Mesnier, Mark Ramsdell & Chuck Fischer: 2016 National Book Festival Roland Mesnier discusses, with co-author Mark Ramsdell, "The White House in Gingerbread: Memories and Recipes" and, with co-author Chuck Fischer, "The Gingerbread White House: A Pop-Up Book." They are interviewed by Bonnie...
- Date: 2016-09-24
Film, VideoVoices from the Canefields: Folksongs from Japanese Immigrant Workers in Hawaii Drawing on research for his recent book, "Voices from the Canefields," author Franklin Odo situates over two hundred songs of Japanese immigrant workers in Hawaii, in translation, in a hitherto largely unexplored...
- Contributor: Odo, Franklin
- Date: 2013-09-20
Film, VideoPeter Brown: 2014 National Book Festival Peter Brown appears at the 2014 Library of Congress National Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
- Contributor: Brown, Peter
- Date: 2014-08-30
Film, VideoNIST NSRL Efforts to Preserve Software in the Stanford Libraries Cabrinety Collection The NSRL is a software collection at NIST used primarily by law enforcement organizations. The NSRL produces short data profiles called "hashes," digital fingerprints that uniquely identify a file on a computer...
- Contributor: White, Douglas
- Date: 2013-09-11
Film, VideoThe witch
Vvitch: a New England folktale A family in 1630s New England faces destruction by the forces of witchcraft, black magic, and possession. When one of their five children goes missing and their life-sustaining crops fail, they fall...
- Contributor: Van Hoy, Jay - Knudsen, Lars - Redmond, Jodi - Bekerman, Daniel - Teixeira, Rodrigo - Eggers, Robert - Taylor-Joy, Anya - Ineson, Ralph - Dickie, Kate - Korven, Mark ... Van Hoy, Jay - Knudsen, Lars - Redmond, Jodi - Bekerman, Daniel - Teixeira, Rodrigo - Eggers, Robert - Taylor-Joy, Anya - Ineson, Ralph - Dickie, Kate - Korven, Mark - Ford, Louise - Blaschke, Jarin - A24 (Firm) - Parts and Labor (Firm) - Rt Features (Firm) - Rooks Nest Entertainment (Firm) - Code Red Productions (Firm) - Scythia Films - Pulse Films - Special Projects International - Copyright Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2016
Film, VideoSession 2: Existing Exclusive Rights Under Title 17, Part 2 Like Session 1, this session explored how the exclusive rights in Title 17 cover the making available and communication to the public rights. This includes digital on-demand transmissions such as peer-to-peer networks,...
- Contributor: Various
- Date: 2014-05-05
Film, VideoFor the Eyes of the Dear Leader: Fashion and Body Politics in North Korean Visual Arts Suk-Young Kim, a fellow at the John W. Kluge Center, Library of Congress, presents a program that provides insight on North Korean culture, politics and the leadership of Kim Jong-il titled "For...
- Contributor: Kim, Suk-Young
- Date: 2007-06-27
Film, VideoPoet Laureate Juan Felipe Herrera on Don Quixote Poet Laureate Juan Felipe Herrera continues his voyage through the Library's collections as part of his La Casa de Colores project. In a visit to the Hispanic Division, curator Juan Manuel Perez...
- Date: 2016-01-21
Film, VideoKay Bailey Hutchison: 2013 National Book Festival Kay Bailey Hutchison appears at the 2013 Library of Congress National Book Festival.
- Contributor: Hutchison, Kay Bailey
- Date: 2013-09-21
Film, VideoDolores Kendrick: 2011 National Book Festival Dolores Kendrick appears at the 2011 National Book Festival.
- Contributor: Kendrick, Dolores
- Date: 2011-09-25
Film, VideoInterview with Allen Hamby, Naples, Italy, November 19, 2001 (part 2 of 2)
- Contributor: George, Scott Edward - Hamby, Allen
- Date: 2001-11-19
Film, VideoNational Library Service for the Blind & Physically Handicapped (30) National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped in the Library of Congress (NLS) is a free braille and talking book library service for people with temporary or permanent low vision,...
- Contributor: Narrator
- Date: 2018-01-08
Film, VideoPat Mora: 2010 National Book Festival Literacy advocate Pat Mora appears at the 2010 National Book Festival.
- Contributor: Mora, Pat
- Date: 2010-09-25
Film, VideoLightning Talks A series of eight lightning talks on subjects ranging from Caribbean periodicals to the Alan Lomax collection of Spanish folk music to the archives of the New York Philharmonic closed the day-long...
- Date: 2017-07-25
Film, VideoGail Twersky Reimer: Making Trouble As demonstrated by vaudevillian Sophie Tucker, silent film and stage star Molly Picon, Ziegfeld Follies star Fanny Brice, stand-up comic Joan Rivers, "Saturday Night Live" performer Gilda Radner and Broadway's Wendy Wasserstein,...
- Contributor: Twersky Reimer, Gail
- Date: 2010-05-26
Film, VideoLife & Works of Naguib Mahfuz Symposium, Part 2 Egyptian author and screen playwright Naguib Mahfuz (1911-2006), the 1988 Nobel Prize Laureate in Literature, is the subject of this international symposium co-sponsored with the Egyptian Embassy. Part 2, afternoon sessions, included...
- Contributor: Speakers, Various
- Date: 2013-05-14
Film, VideoProfiles of Remarkable Women: Abla Amawi This interview with Abla Amawi, conducted in Istanbul by Mary-Jane Deeb of the Library of Congress, is part of a series that highlights the achievements of six exceptional Muslim women from Afghanistan,...
- Contributor: Amawi, Abla
- Date: 2002-09-18
Film, VideoInterview with Guillermo Klein videorecording | 1 videorecording ; 49 min. | Whittall Pavilion, Library of Congress (Venue). February 29, 2008 (Date). Videorecording (Form).
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Klein, Guillermo - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2008
Film, VideoShannon Hale: 2009 National Book Festival New York Times best-selling author Shannon Hale appears at the National Book Festival.
- Contributor: Hale, Shannon
- Date: 2009-09-26
Film, VideoEvening Poetry Slam: 2014 National Book Festival Evening Poetry Slam at the 2014 Library of Congress National Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
- Contributor: Various
- Date: 2014-08-30
Film, VideoCreole United: African American Creole Music from Louisiana Creole United performs a concert of creole music from southwest Louisiana.
- Contributor: Creole United
- Date: 2015-07-29
Film, VideoAnnette Gordon-Reed: 2015 National Book Festival Annette Gordon-Reed discusses "The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family" as part of a special celebration of Thomas Jefferson's Library at the 2015 Library of Congress National Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
- Contributor: Gordon-Reed, Annette
- Date: 2015-09-05
Film, VideoGoof troop.
Disney Goof troop. "Join the gang for a whole lot of laughs as Goofy inherits the family's Frankengoof castle, runs for town mayor and gets in the ring to face wrestling champ Bulk Brogan."--Container.
- Contributor: Taylor, Robert - Farmer, Bill - Hill, Dana - Paulsen, Rob - Walt Disney Television Animation - Walt Disney Home Entertainment (Firm) - Buena Vista Home Entertainment (Firm) - Copyright Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2014
Film, VideoWomen's History Month: Former Congresswoman Patricia Schroeder Deputy Librarian of Congress Robert Dizard Jr. interviews former U.S. Rep. Patricia Schroeder about her career as the first woman elected to Congress from Colorado, as former president and CEO of the...
- Date: 2014-06-04
Film, VideoOpen Mic with Jayme Stone Jayme Stone discussed his discoveries in the AFC archive. He focused on his re-imagining of archival recordings, specifically Alan Lomax recordings. Stone also discussed his performing career in general and how the...
- Date: 2017-05-04
Film, VideoJessica Kensky & Patrick Downes: 2018 National Book Festival Jessica Kensky and Patrick Downes discuss "Rescue and Jessica: A Life-Changing Friendship" at the 2018 Library of Congress National Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
- Date: 2018-09-01
Film, VideoGershwin Prize Gala Dinner Paul Simon receives the first annual Gershwin Prize for Popular Song during a gala dinner sponsored by the Library's Music Division.
- Contributor: Various
- Date: 2007-05-22
Film, VideoConversation with Jordi Savall Renowned early music conductor and musician Jordi Savall speaks with Anne McLean about his special program with Hespèrion XXI, La Capella Reial de Catalunya and Le Concert des Nations. Savall also tries...
- Date: 2017-02-04
Film, VideoWorld Energy Transformation: Asia & Beyond Gong Ping Yeh discussed his current research in sustainable energy including wind, solar, biofuels, electric vehicles and ocean energy.
- Contributor: Yeh, Gong Ping
- Date: 2016-05-05
Film, VideoIron Man : rise of Technovore
Rise of Technovore Stark Industries is attacked by a mysterious terrorist who is using biotechnology that threatens to destroy the whole world. Iron Man enlists the help of The Punisher and other Marvel Heroes to...
- Contributor: Auman, Brandon - Bradner, Megan Thomas - Wilcox, Harrison - Kaji, Kengo - Hamasaki, Hiroshi - Reedus, Norman - Bauza, Eric - Higgins, Kate - Mathis, James - Mercer, Matthew - Grant, Clare - Marvel Comics Group - Maddohausu, Kabushiki Kaisha - Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (Firm) - Copyright Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2013
Film, VideoLeon Fleisher: 2011 National Book Festival Pianist Leon Fleisher is interviewed at the 2011 National Book Festival by Philip Kennicott, art critic for the Washington Post.
- Contributor: Fleisher, Leon
- Date: 2011-09-24
Film, VideoWhat Time Was the American Revolution? Reflections on a Familiar Narrative This lecture challenged our traditional assumptions about the chronology of the American Revolution. T.H. Breen rejected a familiar story that begins in the early 1760s with the coronation of George III and...
- Contributor: Breen , Timothy
- Date: 2017-04-20
CollectionNew Deal Resources: Preserving the Legacy, Part 1
New Deal at 75 symposium, 2008 March 13-14 | American Folklife Center symposium, 2008-03-13 to 2008-03-14 The "New Deal" Franklin Delano Roosevelt had promised the American people began to take shape immediately after his inauguration on March 4, 1933. The multi-faceted social, cultural and fiscal recovery program aimed...
- Contributor: Various - Brannan, Beverly W. - Birney, Alice L. (Alice Lotvin) - Breiseth, Christopher Neri - Camp, Charles - Clark, Robert William - Cleary, Beth M. - Cole, John Young - Dimunation, Mark G. - Gottesman, Laura ... Various - Brannan, Beverly W. - Birney, Alice L. (Alice Lotvin) - Breiseth, Christopher Neri - Camp, Charles - Clark, Robert William - Cleary, Beth M. - Cole, John Young - Dimunation, Mark G. - Gottesman, Laura - Kalin, Andrea - Katzman, Laura - Kazin, Michael - Kerst, Catherine Hiebert - McDannell, Colleen - Morgan, Mindy J. - Peatross, C. Ford - Rachleff, Peter J. - Remsberg, Rich - Sapoznik, Henry - Tidwell, John Edgar - Wiltsey, Tom - Zvonchenko, Walter - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Library of Congress - National New Deal Preservation Association - United States. National Archives and Records Administration
- Date: 2008-03-13