Film, Video71st Regiment, Camp Wyckoff
Seventy-first Regiment, Camp Wyckoff | 71st Regiment, N.G.S.N.Y., at Camp Wikoff | Seventy-first Regiment, N.G., S.N.Y. | Seventy-first Regiment, N.Y.V. at Camp Wikoff From the Biograph picture catalogue: 55 feet. Of the thousand and more men who left New York for the Cuban Campaign, scarcely three hundred were able to shoulder their rifles to march before the Biograph camera at Camp Wikoff. The picture shows many of the companies reduced to seven or eight men, and the whole regiment, rank and file is in a sad condition. ...
- Contributor: Armitage, F. S. - American Mutoscope and Biograph Company - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - American Mutoscope Company
- Date: 1898
CollectionWe Had Sneakers, They Had Guns: The Kids Who Fought for Civil Rights in Mississippi As an illustrator and journalist, Tracy Sugarman covered the nearly one thousand student volunteers who traveled to the Mississippi Delta to assist black citizens in the South in registering to vote. Two white students and one black student were slain in the struggle, many were beaten and hundreds arrested, and churches and homes were burned to the ground by the opponents of equality. Yet ...
- Contributor: Sugarman, Tracy - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2009-05-05
Film, VideoJoseph Echols Lowery oral history interview conducted by Joseph Mosnier in Atlanta, Georgia, 2011-06-06.
- Contributor: Civil Rights History Project (U.S.) - Mosnier, Joseph - Lowery, Joseph (Joseph E.)
- Date: 2011-06-06
View 19 Results
Film, VideoU.S. troops and Red Cross in the trenches before Caloocan
United States troops and Red Cross in the trenches before Caloocan | U.S. troops and Red Cross in the trenches before Coloocan | Red Cross and U.S. troops in the trenches before Coloocan | Red Cross in the trenches | U.S. troops and Red Cross in trenches before Coloocan "Our troops have driven the Filipinos out of the trenches, and, after firing one or two volleys, press on in pursuit. The enemy returns the fire and the forward rush is marked by a trail of dead and wounded. Following close behind is the hospital corps. Stretchers are quickly brought out and the nurses tenderly care for the fallen and carry them to the ...
- Contributor: White, James H. (James Henry) - New Jersey. National Guard - Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1899
Film, Video25th Infantry
Twenty-fifth Infantry | Twenty-fifth Inf. returning from Mt. Ariat | 25th Infantry returning from Mt. Arayat | Back from battle | Back from the battle | 25th Infantry returning from Mt. Ariat, 1898 From the Biograph picture catalogue: Gen. Frederick D. Grant and Gen. A.S. Burt [commander of the 25th Infantry Regiment] returning from Mt. Ariat [sic], at the head of the famous 25th Infantry, colored.
- Contributor: Ackerman, Raymond - American Mutoscope and Biograph Company - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress) - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1900
Film, VideoThe life of a city--early films of New York from the Paper Print Collection, 1898-1906 /
Early films of New York from the Paper Print Collection, 1898-1906 | New York videodisc Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Compilation of 45 films from the Library of Congress Paper Print Collection.
- Date: 1991
Film, VideoMabel and Fatty viewing the World's Fair at San Francisco, Cal.
Mabel and Fatty at the World's Fair | Frisco story The 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition was San Francisco's second fair (following the 1894 Mid-Winter Fair) and her first major exposition. The 1915 fair celebrated both the opening of the newly-completed Panama Canal -- a triumph of Franco-American engineering -- and the newly-rebuilt San Francisco, vital and vigorous after recovering from the 1906 earthquake and fire. The fair opened on February 20, 1915, and closed December ...
- Contributor: Sennett, Mack - Normand, Mabel - Arbuckle, Roscoe - Keystone Film Company - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Mutual Film Company - Blackhawk Films - Afi/Meggers (William F.) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1915
Film, VideoSecrets of the manor house /
Inside British country homes in the early 1900's Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Secrets of the manor house looks beyond the fiction to the truth of how life was in these ancient British houses, and how mounting financial, political and social pressures were about to bring momentous changes to both the wealthy and their servants.
- Contributor: Ward, Susannah - West, Samuel - Pioneer Productions - Pbs Home Video - Copyright Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2012
Film, VideoThe fleet steaming up North River
Fleet steaming up the North River "Shows the "Brooklyn," flying Schley's twin-starred blue flag. Every detail brought out with wonderful clearness. Excursion craft in the distance. Bow of the "Indiana" appears toward end of film. 150 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- Contributor: White, James H. (James Henry) - Blackton, James Stuart - Smith, Albert E. (Albert Edward) - American Vitagraph Company - Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress) - Smith, Albert E.
- Date: 1898
Film, Video10 buildings that changed America /
Ten buildings that changed America Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available 10 Buildings That Changed America tells the stories of ten influential works of architecture, the people who imagined them, and the way these landmarks ushered in innovative cultural shifts throughout our society. These 10 Buildings represent architects who dared to strike out on their own and design radical new types of buildings that permanently altered our environmental and cultural landscape.
- Contributor: Protess, Dan - Baer, Geoffrey - Wttw (Television Station : Chicago, Ill.) - Window to the World Communications, Inc - Public Broadcasting Service (U.S.) - Pbs Distribution (Firm) - Copyright Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2013
Film, VideoAdvance of Kansas Volunteers at Caloocan "From the thick underbrush where the Filipinos are massed comes volley after volley. They are making one of those determined stands that marks Caloocan as the bloodiest battle of the Filipino rebellion. Suddenly, with impetuous rush, Funston's men appear. They pause but for a moment, to fire, reload and fire. The color bearer falls, but the standard is caught up by brave Sergeant Squires ...
- Contributor: White, James H. (James Henry) - New Jersey. National Guard - Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1899
CollectionTake Me Out to the Library of Congress Librarian of Congress James H. Billington kicks off the Library's Baseball Americana Symposium with the help of Martha Madden, Ernie Banks and Rep. Zach Wamp. Baseball Hall of Famer Ernie Banks is presented with the Living Legend Award given by the Library of Congress.
- Contributor: Alstrom, Ed - Banks, Ernie - Ceresi, Frank - Cook, Murray - Dickson, Paul - Dierker, Larry - Frank, Russell - Hillerich, John - Johnson, Mamie - Katz, Harry L. ... Alstrom, Ed - Banks, Ernie - Ceresi, Frank - Cook, Murray - Dickson, Paul - Dierker, Larry - Frank, Russell - Hillerich, John - Johnson, Mamie - Katz, Harry L. - Kraig, Bruce - Reyburn, Susan - Smith, Claire - American Folklife Center - Library of Congress. Publishing Office - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2009-09-30
Film, VideoCivil War symposium
Civil War and American memory Webcast of a 2 1/2 day symposium with leading Civil War experts. It consisted of eight panel discussions on various aspects of the war, presentations of Library of Congress Civil War materials, dramatic readings from Civil War letters, diaries and other materials, a showing of the film The Red Badge of Courage and silent films about the war, and a concert of Civil War ...
- Contributor: Library of Congress Civil War Symposium
- Date: 2002
CollectionRobert Burns at 250: Poetry, Politics and Performance: Day Two, Session 2 To mark the 250th anniversary of the birth of Robert Burns, Scotland's national poet, the American Folklife Center, in collaboration with the Scottish government as part of its Homecoming Scotland 2009 celebration, presented a free public symposium on Burns' life and work, as well as his impact on America and American culture. The afternoon featured a second panel discussion exploring Burns' relationship to the ...
- Contributor: Various - Bennett, Margaret - Bulger, Peggy A. - Bold, Valentina - Cole, John Young - Cowan, Edward J. - Crawford, Robert - Edwards, Nat - Gray, Patricia H. - Kay, Billy ... Various - Bennett, Margaret - Bulger, Peggy A. - Bold, Valentina - Cole, John Young - Cowan, Edward J. - Crawford, Robert - Edwards, Nat - Gray, Patricia H. - Kay, Billy - Lambert, Marc - Miller, Ed - Newton, Cate - Ryan, Kay - Salmond, Alex - Sklarew, Myra - Winick, Stephen D. - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2009-02-25
CollectionCorsican Language & Expressive Culture Since the mid-20th century, a variety of social, economic and political factors have affected the cultural practices and conceptions of identity on the Mediterranean island of Corsica. Linguistic anthropologist Alexandra Jaffe discusses the Corsican language and Corsican expressive culture. She addresses both the island's shift towards the French language and the Corsican language revitalization movement that began in the early 1970s. Drawing on ethnographic ...
- Contributor: Jaffe, Alexandra - Jaffe, Alexandra M. (Alexandra Mystra) - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2014-12-02
Film, VideoSecrets of Althorp: the Spencers / Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available This film focuses on Althorp, the ancestral home of the Spencer family since the 16th century. The interior of the house is generally considered its strongest asset as the Spencer family has assembled an impressive collection of portrait art including several pieces painted by the Flemish master Anthony van Dyck. Diana, Princess of Wales, is buried on the estate.
- Contributor: Uscinska, Kasia - West, Samuel - Pioneer Productions - Pbs Distribution (Firm) - Copyright Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2013
Film, VideoSan Francisco's future By mid-1916, after viewing the carnage in Europe, the United States saw itself poised with great reluctance on the edge of participation in World War I. Isolationism and anti-preparedness feeling remained strong in San Francisco, not only among radicals such as the International Workers of the Worlds ("the Wobblies"), but also among responsible labor leaders. At the same time, with the rise of Bolshevism ...
- Contributor: Hearst, Phoebe Apperson - Rodiester, Claire - Rolph, James - Afi/Post (George) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1916
Film, VideoAfter Newtown: guns in America /
Guns in America Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available An unprecedented exploration of America's enduring relationship with firearms. From the first European settlements in the New World to frontier justice; from 19th Century immigrant riots to gangland violence in the Roaring Twenties; from the Civil War to Civil Rights, guns have been at center of our national narrative for four hundred years. Americans have relied on guns to sustain communities, challenge authority, and ...
- Contributor: Harris, Richard - Silvers, Jonathan - Flynn, Patrick - Shapiro, Alissa - Caccamise, Robert - Saybrook Productions, Ltd - Public Broadcasting Service (U.S.) - Pbs Distribution (Firm) - Copyright Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2013
Film, VideoMcKinley and party
President McKinley's inspection of Camp Wikoff From the Biograph picture catalogue: 54 feet. This picture has been very popular wherever it has been shown on the Biograph. To begin with, the film is unusually fine photographically, and the picture is taken from a point of view which shows the immense distances of Camp Wikoff with its multitude of tents in the background. The President, with Vice-President Hobart and Secretary of ...
- Contributor: McKinley, William - Hobart, Garret A. (Garret Augustus) - Alger, R. A. (Russell Alexander) - Wheeler, Joseph - Astor, John Jacob - American Mutoscope and Biograph Company - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - American Mutoscope Company - Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1898
CollectionLaborlore: Collecting and Contextualizing Laborlore Through a case study approach, the panelists focus on a range of issues confronting documentary fieldworkers and their community collaborators in the arena of documenting and representing occupational lore and traditions. Focusing on maritime traditions and ranching culture, participants address the issues of how to frame labor culture and traditions for a broader public in the realm of the museum, the internet and live ...
- Contributor: Various - Alvarez, Maribel L - Ardery, Julia S. - Cannon, Hal - Dickens, Hazel - Eff, Elaine - Fleischhauer, Carl - Glaser-Church, Susan - Johnson, Paula J. - Lane, James "petey," ... Various - Alvarez, Maribel L - Ardery, Julia S. - Cannon, Hal - Dickens, Hazel - Eff, Elaine - Fleischhauer, Carl - Glaser-Church, Susan - Johnson, Paula J. - Lane, James "petey," - Lewis, Anne - McCarl, Robert - McNeil, Bryan T. - Munoz, Michael S. - Purkey, Elaine - Roediger, David R. - Seeger, Mike - Spitzer, Nicholas R. - Wilson, Joe - Archie Green Fund for Labor Culture & History - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2007-08-16
Film, VideoPanorama of Galveston power house
Ruins of the Galveston power house From Edison films catalog: This building and machinery supplied the electric power and electric light for the entire city of Galveston, including the car system. The building, which is of solid masonry, is a complete wreck, and together with the twisted iron work of the machinery, shows the tremendous power of the cyclone. 50 feet. $7.50. Part of The Galveston Cyclone series (Edison films ...
- Contributor: Smith, Albert E. - Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Smith, Albert E. (Albert Edward)
- Date: 1900
Film, VideoSecrets of the dead. China's terracotta warriors /
China's terracotta warriors Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available The story of China's 8,000 terracotta warriors begins two centuries before the birth of Christ. The First Emperor of China was preparing an extravagant tomb for his journey into the afterlife, and decreed that he be protected forever by a monumental army. Since then no one has seen these ancient warriors in their original splendor, brightly painted and fully armed, ready to protect their ...
- Contributor: Schreiber, Liev - Natural History New Zealand Ltd - Wnet (Television Station : New York, N.Y.) - Wnet.org - National Geographic Channel (Television Station : Washington, D.C.) - Pbs Home Video - Copyright Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 2011
Film, VideoJohn and Jean Rosenberg oral history interview conducted by David P. Cline in Prestonburg, Kentucky, 2013-08-15. Jean and John Rosenberg begin this interview with recollections of their families' backgrounds. Jean learned about social issues as she was raised by a Quaker family in Pennsylvania, and John's family fled Germany under threat from the Nazis. Jean attended Wilmington College and became a research analyst for the Department of Justice's Civil Rights Division. John grew up in Gastonia, North Carolina, where FBI ...
- Contributor: Civil Rights History Project (U.S.) - Cline, David P. - Rosenberg, John M. - Rosenberg, Jean Voelker
- Date: 2013-08-15
View 53 Results
Film, VideoLast known home of Czar Nicholas Camera pans the home of a merchant named Ipatiev, where Nicholas II, last Russian emperor, and his royal family were executed in Ekaterinburg (Sverdlovsk), July 1918. Second sequence is views of men, identified by interior title as Bolshevik prisoners, standing behind barbed wire as guards patrol.
- Contributor: Rainey, Paul James - Theodore Roosevelt Association Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1918
Film, VideoEarly films of San Francisco, before and after the great earthquake & fire, 1897-1916 /
Before and after the great earthquake and fire, 1897-1916 | San Francisco videodisc Catalog Record - Electronic Resource Available Compilation of 26 films from the collections of the Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division of the Library of Congress.
- Date: 1994