Film, VideoWilliam G. Anderson oral history interview conducted by Joseph Mosnier in Detroit, Michigan, 2011-07-26. William Anderson recalls growing up in Americus, Georgia, serving in the navy during World War II, and his friendships with Martin Luther King, Jr., and Ralph Abernathy. He remembers opening his osteopath practice in Albany, Georgia, becoming a leader of the Albany Movement, and supporting protesters from the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC). He discusses his several arrests with King and Abernathy, appearing on...
- Contributor: Civil Rights History Project (U.S.) - Mosnier, Joseph - Anderson, William G.
- Date: 2011-07-26
View 40 Results
CollectionThe Long Black Freedom Struggle: African American Soldiers in WWI & Korea Adriane Lentz-Smith of Duke University and David Cline of Virginia Tech discuss the forgotten history of African-American participation in WWI and Korea, followed by a discussion facilitated by Robert Patrick, director of the Veterans History Project.
- Contributor: Various - Cline, David P. - Lentz-Smith, Adriane - Patrick, Robert - American Folklife Center - Veterans History Project (U.S.) - Archive of Folk Culture (Library of Congress) - Blacks in Government (U.S.). Library of Congress Chapter
- Date: 2014-03-18
Film, VideoMatthew J. Perry oral history interview conducted by Joseph Mosnier in Columbia, South Carolina, 2011-06-07.
- Contributor: Civil Rights History Project (U.S.) - Mosnier, Joseph - Perry, Matthew J. (Matthew James)
- Date: 2011-06-07
View 18 Results
Film, VideoScott Bates oral history interview conducted by David P. Cline in Sewanee, Tennessee, 2013-06-20. Professor Scott Bates describes his career as an educator and civil rights supporter in Sewanee, Tennessee. He discusses his memories of race relations on U.S. Army bases during World War II, and he describes how he moved from the Midwest to Sewanee, Tennessee to become a college instructor of French. Once in Sewanee, Bates soon learned about the Highlander Folk School, where he attended...
- Contributor: Civil Rights History Project (U.S.) - Cline, David P. - Bates, Scott
- Date: 2013-06-20
View 43 Results
Film, VideoAlfred Moldovan oral history interview conducted by Joseph Mosnier in New York, New York, 2011-07-19.
- Contributor: Civil Rights History Project (U.S.) - Mosnier, Joseph - Moldovan, Alfred
- Date: 2011-07-19
View 26 Results
Film, VideoRobert Bagner Hayling oral history interview conducted by Joseph Mosnier in Saint Augustine, Florida, 2011-09-14. Robert Hayling recalls serving in the air force during World War II, attending the Meharry Dental School, and participating in civil rights protests in Nashville, Tennessee. He remembers starting his dental practice in St. Augustine, Florida, leading the local National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) youth group, and the exclusion of African Americans from St. Augustine's 400th anniversary celebration, and being...
- Contributor: Civil Rights History Project (U.S.) - Mosnier, Joseph - Hayling, Robert Bagner
- Date: 2011-09-14
View 35 Results