Format Films, Videos
Results: 1-7 of 7 | Refined by: Original Format: Film, Video Remove Date: 2000-2099 Remove Subject: California Remove
The American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress hosted a two-day event including a tribute, a symposium, and a concert, honoring folklorists Archie Green and Joe Wilson, and celebrating the acquisition of the National Council for the Traditional Arts (NCTA) Collection by the Center's archive. The multifaceted event featured spoken tributes, musical performances, panel discussions, and rare glimpses at archival treasures, and was ...
- Contributor: Ferris, William R. - Johnson, Paula - McCulloh, Judith - Munoz, Michael S. - Pelosi, Nancy - Wilson, Joe - American Folklife Center - Archive of Folk Culture (library of Congress)
- Date: 2009-09-10
Mildred Pitts Walter oral history interview conducted by David P. Cline in San Mateo, California, 2013-03-01.
- Contributor: Civil Rights History Project (u.s.) - Cline, David P. - Walter, Mildred Pitts
- Date: 2013-03-01
Look inside: 30 results
Luis Zapata oral history interview conducted by Emilye Crosby in Silver Spring, Maryland, 2013-06-27.
- Contributor: Civil Rights History Project (u.s.) - Crosby, Emilye - Zapata, Luis
- Date: 2013-06-27
Look inside: 57 results
Aaron Dixon describes his childhood in the Midwest and in Seattle and how he became a leader in the Black Panther Party, helping to found the Seattle chapter of the Party. Dixon describes in detail his family history and the influence of oral tradition on his racial consciousness. He discusses the role of the Black Student Union at the University of Washington and details ...
- Contributor: Bishop, John Melville - Cline, David P. - Dixon, Aaron Floyd
- Date: 2013-05-11
Look inside: 53 results
Elmer Dixon discusses his childhood in Chicago, Illinois and Seattle, Washington, where he marched with Martin Luther King, Jr., and heard Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) leader Stokely Carmichael speak. At 17 he met Black Panthers Bobby Seale and Huey Newton in Oakland and established, with his brother Aaron Dixon as Defense Captain, the Seattle chapter of the Black Panther Party. Dixon discusses his ...
- Contributor: Civil Rights History Project (u.s.) - Dixon, Elmer - Cline, David P.
- Date: 2013-02-28
Look inside: 47 results
In a concert in celebration of Hispanic American Heritage Month, Agustin Lira and Alma & Quetza perform.
- Date: 2011-09-14
Ben Caldwell oral history interview conducted by David P. Cline in Los Angeles, California, 2013-04-11.
Ben Caldwell shares his family's history in the Southwest and his childhood experience in New Mexico. Caldwell describes his military service during the Vietnam War and how his experiences made him reflect on racial prejudices in the United States. He began studying art, and he eventually moved to Los Angeles, where he has been part of a black arts movement since the 1970s. He ...
- Contributor: Civil Rights History Project (u.s.) - Cline, David P. - Caldwell, Ben R.
- Date: 2013-04-11
Look inside: 49 results