Film, VideoOne Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay & the Recycling Women of Gambia In honor of Earth Day, Miranda Paul read her book, "One Plastic Bag: Isatou Ceesay and the Recycling Women of Gambia," and introduced Ceesay to first and third grade students from the...
- Contributor: Paul, Miranda - Ceesay, Isatou
- Date: 2015-04-14
Film, VideoTijan Sallah: Interview with Gambian Poet, Writer & Economist A reading with Tijan Momodou Sallah.
- Contributor: Sallah, Tijan
- Date: 2012-11-09
Film, VideoKadija Sesay Writer, poet and activist Kadija Sesay discusses her life and work.
- Contributor: Sesay, Kadija George
- Date: 2019-08-12
Film, VideoCarl Hiaasen: 2016 National Book Festival Carl Hiaasen discusses "Razor Girl" at the 2016 Library of Congress Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
- Contributor: Hiaasen, Carl
- Date: 2016-09-24
Film, VideoAfrican Fiddle & Banjo Echo in Appalachia Lecture Alan Lomax Fellow Cece Conway delivers a multimedia presentation on the instrumental and musical history of Appalachian traditional music, with illustration from African and Appalachian musicians, instruments, videos, sounds and images.
- Contributor: Conway, Cece
- Date: 2015-10-01
Film, VideoThe Mind of the African Strongman Herman Jay Cohen discussed his book, "The Mind of the African Strongman," reflecting on nearly four decades of work throughout the African continent. He shared stories of his personal encounters with some...
- Contributor: Cohen, Herman Jay
- Date: 2016-05-17
Film, VideoA Path Appears: 2015 National Book Festival Nicholas Kristof & Sheryl WuDunn discuss "A Path Appears: Transforming Lives, Creating Opportunity" at the 2015 Library of Congress National Book Festival in Washington, D.C.
- Contributor: Kristof, Nicholas - Wudunn, Sheryl
- Date: 2015-09-05
Film, VideoPan African Cuisine: Healing Secrets of the Continent Tambra Raye Stevenson shared her culinary nutritional discoveries in African heritage foods.
- Contributor: Stevenson, Tambra Raye
- Date: 2014-02-20
Film, VideoThe Oral Historiography of the Mali Empire Nubia Kai from the University of Maryland discussed her book, "Kuma Malinke Historiography: Sundiata Keita to Almamy Samori Toure."
- Contributor: Kai, Nubia
- Date: 2015-05-06
Film, VideoAuthor Namwali Serpell Zambian writer Namwali Serpell read a short story from her book, participated in an interview, and took questions from the audience. Serpell also discussed her current research, challenges and opportunities in African...
- Contributor: Serpell, Namwali
- Date: 2016-03-14
Film, VideoWhere's WANDA in Africa & Diaspora? Author Tambra Raye Stevenson discussed her "Where's WANDA" book series and how the WANDA (Women Advancing Nutrition, Dietetics and Agriculture) character sparks the imagination of young girls to use food as a...
- Contributor: Stevenson, Tambra Raye
- Date: 2016-09-29
Film, VideoPoet Antjie Krog South African poet & writer Antjie Krog discussed and read from her work.
- Contributor: Krog, Antjie
- Date: 2017-09-28
Film, VideoIslam in America, 18th-21st Century A symposium on the impact of Islamic religion and culture in America.
- Contributor: Gifford, Prosser - Al-Islam, Amir - Haddad, Yvonne Y. - Diouf, Sylviane A. - Harper, Marieta - Hunwick, John O. - Brown, Carolyn - Beard, Derrick J. - Ahmed, Akbar S.
- Date: 2002-01-29
Film, VideoScholarfest S3: Life/Present: Personal & Cultural Identity in a Multicultural World As part of the two-day celebration of the 15th anniversary of the John W. Kluge Center at the Library of Congress, seven 10-minute rapid-fire "lightning conversations" (followed by 20 minutes of moderated...
- Contributor: Crego, Paul - Sanneh, Lamin - Tichi, Celcelia - Ohnuki-Tierney, Emiko - Lahikainen, Amanda - Shelemay, Kay Kaufman - Arpaci, Annette Seidel - Falola, Toyin - Lynch, Kathleen - Chonghaile, Deirdre Ni - Granberg-Michaelson, Wesley - Meyer, Manuella - Slaymaker, Douglas - Amquist, Alden
- Date: 2015-06-11
Film, VideoKwame Dawes Ghanaian writer Kwame Dawes read samples of his work and participated in a moderated discussion with the Library's Angel Batiste.
- Contributor: Batiste, Angel - Dawes, Kwame
- Date: 2016-11-18
Film, VideoMauritian Writer Shenaz Patel Shenaz Patel read selections of her work and participated in a discussion with Library staff.
- Contributor: Patel, Shenaz
- Date: 2016-11-04
Film, VideoThe Role of Heritage in Storytelling This symposium on the contribution of diverse cultural experiences to literature for children and youth was moderated by award-winning author Meg Medina. An audience of educators, literacy professionals, university professors and graduate...
- Contributor: Zunon, Elizabeth - Laínez, René Colato - Shang, Wendy - Medina, Meg - Saeed, Aisha
- Date: 2016-05-25
Film, VideoRhythmic Imagination in African Music Renowned musicologist Kofi Agawu lectures on his most recent book, "The African Imagination in Music," with a focus on the chapter about rhythm.
- Contributor: Agawu, Kofi
- Date: 2017-01-26
Film, VideoEuvester Simpson oral history interview conducted by John Dittmer in Jackson, Mississippi, 2013 March 12. Euvester Simpson discusses her childhood in Itta Bena, Mississippi, and she describes her parents' decision to send her to Racine, Wisconsin, to attend high school because they were fed up with segregated...
- Contributor: Dittmer, John - Civil Rights History Project (U.S.) - Simpson, Euvester
- Date: 2013
View 1 Image
Film, VideoConversation on the Omar Ibn Said Collection Scholars discussed the autobiography of Omar Ibn Said, the only known autobiography by a slave written in Arabic in the United States. It is a historically unique and important primary source for...
- Contributor: Alryyes, Ala - Diouf, Sylviane A. - Rothman, Adam - Deeb, Mary Jane
- Date: 2019-02-05
Film, VideoContemporary African Immigrants in the United States An afternoon conference on the role of contemporary African immigrants in the United States.
- Contributor: Ochonu, Moses - Bangura, Abdul Karim - Blyden, Nemata - Harrow, Kenneth
- Date: 2016-12-15