Film, Video The ball game
Digital viewing copy
About this Item
- The ball game
- Photographed from one camera position behind home plate, the film shows a baseball game in progress. The Reading pitcher has just let a Newark batter walk to first. He gets up on his toes, ready to head for second base. The next batter up cracks first ball pitched for a two bagger, and races for the base with a burst of speed. The first baseman just misses a put-out. A man on the coaching line yells, the umpire runs up to make a decision, and a small boy runs behind the catcher, close to the stands, where there is a great commotion.
- Heise, William, production, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1898.
- - Baseball--New Jersey--Newark
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Filmed baseball games
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 31442 U.S Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison, Inc.; 20May98; 31442.
- - Camera, William Heise.
- - Duration: 0:27 at 28 fps.
- - Summary mostly taken from Edison motion pictures, 1890-1900.
- - According to the Baseball reference WWW site, in 1898, the Newark, N.J. team was the Newark Colts. The Reading, PA team was the Reading Coal Heavers.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1317) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Photographed in Newark, New Jersey, probably sometime between May 16-18, 1898.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Early motion pictures, p. 21; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures, 1890-1900, p. 441; Baseball reference WWW site, viewed August 28, 2013.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4331 (viewing print)
- FRA 0023 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0037C (paper pos)
- Box 5157A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894-1915, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. The Ball Game. produceds by Heise, Williamuction, Camera United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1898. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00563587/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1898) The Ball Game. Heise, W., prod United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00563587/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. The Ball Game. prod by Heise, Williamuction, Camera United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1898. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00563587/>.