Film, Video Canoeing on the Charles River, Boston, Mass.
About this Item
- Canoeing on the Charles River, Boston, Mass.
- About fifty canoes filled with people on an outing in the summertime were photographed from a single camera position from a bridge overlooking the Charles River in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Porter, Edwin S., camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1904.
- - Canoes and canoeing--Massachusetts--Charles River
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H48348 U.S Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison, Inc.; 21Jul04; H48348.
- - Cameraman, Edwin S. Porter.
- - Footage for 16 mm viewing print and dupe neg pic from document titled, "Major footage count incorrectly printed in Early motion pictures catalog" in M/B/RS Paper Print Collection acquisition file.
- - Duration: 2:09 at 16 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1520) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed July 18, 1904 in Boston, Massachusetts.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Source used: Niver, K., Early motion pictures, p. 45.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPF 0643 to FZA 0910.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (59 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 125 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (59 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 125 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 125 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 125 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4534 (viewing print)
- FEC 1878 (viewing print)
- FRA 1571 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 0910 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0503D (paper pos)
- Box 5061B (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894-1915, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Porter, Edwin S., Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Canoeing on the Charles River, Boston, Mass. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1904. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00563637/.
APA citation style:
Porter, E. S., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1904) Canoeing on the Charles River, Boston, Mass. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00563637/.
MLA citation style:
Porter, Edwin S., Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Canoeing on the Charles River, Boston, Mass. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1904. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00563637/>.