Film, Video Clerks casing mail for bags, U.S.P.O.
About this Item
- Clerks casing mail for bags, U.S.P.O.
- "The subject is an operation of mail handling called "casing." The camera was placed so that two men can be seen demonstrating the method. The demonstrators, with stacks of letters in their hands, place them in one of many apertures built into a cabinet or "case"--Early motion pictures.
- Weed, A. E., camera.
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope & Biograph Company, 1903.
- - United States.--Post Office Department
- - Letter mail handling--Washington (D.C.)
- - Postal service--Washington (D.C.)
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H34972 U.S Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Company; 22Aug03; H34972.
- - Cameraman, A.E. Weed.
- - Filmed August 10, 1903 in Washington, D.C.
- - Biograph production no. 2463.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0861) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 58; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 195; Biograph production logs.
- - paper pos (copy 2) Received: 1903-08-22; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - Paper print roll lacking suffix.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3875 (viewing print)
- FEC 1819 (viewing print)
- FRA 1086 (dupe neg pic)
- FPB 3071 (dupe neg pic)
- FRB 1335 (master pos pic)
- Box 1020E (paper pos)
- Box 5422 (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894-1915, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Weed, A. E., Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Clerks casing mail for bags, U.S.P.O. United States: American Mutoscope & Biograph Company, 1903. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00564543/.
APA citation style:
Weed, A. E., American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1903) Clerks casing mail for bags, U.S.P.O. United States: American Mutoscope & Biograph Company. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00564543/.
MLA citation style:
Weed, A. E., Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Clerks casing mail for bags, U.S.P.O. United States: American Mutoscope & Biograph Company, 1903. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00564543/>.