Film, Video "Vizcaya" under full headway /
About this Item
- "Vizcaya" under full headway /
- Other Title
- Spanish battleship "Viscaya"
- From the Biograph picture catalogue: 24 feet. A splendid picture of the pride of the Spanish navy, taken on the occasion of her visit to New York Harbor, when her captain hinted at his ability to blow holes through New York's skyscrapers. In this picture the vessel makes a very beautiful appearance steaming out to sea under full headway. But what a contrast to a later Biograph picture when the vessel was a smoking hulk wrecked on the shore of Cuba, battered topieces by the guns of the Oregon.
- Contributor Names
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 
- Subject Headings
- - Vizcaya (Armored cruiser)
- - Cruisers (Warships)--New York (State)--New York
- - Warships--Visits to foreign ports
- - Spain.--Armada
- - Spanish-American War, 1898--Naval operations, Spanish
- - New York (N.Y.)--History, Military--19th century
- - Harbors--New York (State)
- War (Nonfiction)--Short
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H30741 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 24Apr1903; H30741.
- - Probable release date from AFI cat.: film beginnings, 1893-1910, 1995.
- - Duration: 0:25 at 16 fps.
- - Materials listed originate from the paper print chosen best copy of two for digitization; for other holdings on this title, contact M/B/RS reference staff.
- - Biograph catalog no. 444; code name (for telegraphic orders) Tortolette.
- - Filmed Feb. 28, 1898, in New York City, New York.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Biograph picture catalogue, Nov. 1902, p. 199 [MI]; Musser, C. The emergence of cinema, 1990, p. 241.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 3000 (ref print)
- FPE 9365 (dupe neg)
- LC 456a (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsAmerican Mutoscope and Biograph Company
American Mutoscope Company
Niver (kemp) Collection (library of Congress)
Paper Print Collection (library of Congress)
New York City
New York Harbor
Actualities (motion Pictures)
Naval Operations, Spanish
New York (n.y.)
New York (state)
New York Harbor (n.y. And N.J.)
Visits to Foreign Ports
Vizcaya (armored Cruiser)
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. "Vizcaya" under full headway. [United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1898] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694002/. (Accessed October 22, 2016.)
APA citation style:
American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1898) "Vizcaya" under full headway. [United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694002/.
MLA citation style:
American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. "Vizcaya" under full headway. [United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1898] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694002/>.