Film, Video Fun in a bakery shop
About this Item
- Fun in a bakery shop
- The set is of the interior of a bakery. A man in a baker's hat and costume enters and begins kneading some dough on a table by the oven. He notices a make-believe rat crawling up the side of a nearby barrel and throws the dough at the rat, covering it completely. He then goes over to the dough and begins to pummel it with his hands. His back is to the camera, which obscures the actual manipulation of the dough, but when he steps away there is now a sculptured mask to admire. He sculpts another mask, and two other men, also dressed as bakers, come in, see what he is doing, pick him up bodily, and stick him head first into the flour barrel.
- Porter, Edwin S., production, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1902.
- - Bakeries--Humor
- - Bakery employees--Humor
- - Dough--Humor
- - Masks (Sculpture)--Humor
- Comedy films
- Trick films
- Stop-motion animation films
- Silent films
- Short films
- Fiction films
- - H15916 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 3Apr1902; H15916.
- - Duration: 1:19 at 20 fps.
- - Summary from Early motion pictures, p. 113.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1620) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Digital file includes a piano score composed and performed by Philip Carli.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Library of Congress video collection, v. 3, Origins of American animation, 1900-1921; McIntire, J. Silent animated films at the Library of Congress, 1995; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 113.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., ca. 37 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., ca. 37 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg pic.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg pic.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. paper pos (copy 2)
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4634 (viewing print)
- FEB 9713 (viewing print)
- FRA 1664 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5243 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0177E (paper pos)
- Box 5115B (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Origins of American Animation, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Fun in a Bakery Shop. produceds by Porter, Edwin S.Uction, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1902. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694005/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1902) Fun in a Bakery Shop. Porter, E. S. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694005/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Fun in a Bakery Shop. prod by Porter, Edwin S.Uction, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1902. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694005/>.