Film, Video Keeping up with the Joneses. [Men's styles] Men's styles / Keeping up with the Joneses.
About this Item
- Keeping up with the Joneses. [Men's styles]
- Men's styles
- Keeping up with the Joneses.
- A domestic comedy about the McGinis family--husband Aloysius, wife Clarice, daughter Julie, and housemaid Belladonna. The simple story lines often parody society's concern with material goods as an indicator of social standing, but the series was not as narrowly focused as the title implies. The Joneses were the McGinis's neighbors, but were not depicted. They were referred to as objects of envy, with whom the McGinis family was "trying to keep up". In this film, Pa McGinis decides to buy a new hat.
- Palmer, H. S. (Harry S.), -1955, direction, production, writing.
- Momand, Arthur R., 1887-1987.
- Gaumont Co.
- Mutual Film Corporation.
- AFI/Zouary (Maurice) Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Mutual Film Corp., 
- - Fashion--United States--Humor
- - Men's clothing--United States--Humor
- - Hats--Humor
- - Husbands--United States--Humor
- - Wives--United States--Humor
- Live-action/animation films
- Comedy films
- Silent films
- Short films
- Fiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Duration: 3:34 at 22 fps.
- - "Mutual program."
- - Summary derived from description of the comic strip, Keeping up with the Joneses on Don Markstein's Toonopedia WWW site.
- - Based on the newspaper comic strip by Arthur Ragland "Pop" Mormand.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1912-1939; Library of Congress video collection, v. 3, Origins of American animation, 1900-1921; McIntire, J. Silent animated films at the Library of Congress, 1995; M/B/RS preliminary catalog card; Gifford, D. American animated films: the silent era, 1897-1929; Don Markstein's Toonopedia WWW site, viewed Dec. 1, 2011.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Digital file includes a piano score composed and performed by Philip Carli.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 4 min., ca. 290 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 4 min., 116 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 4 min., ca. 290 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 4 min., ca. 290 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FEA 3308 (viewing print)
- FRA 8106 (dupe neg pic)
- FPA 3208 (dupe neg pic)
- FPC 0289 (master pos pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Afi/Zouary (Maurice) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Gaumont Co.
- Momand, Arthur R.
- Mutual Film Corporation
- Palmer, H. S. (Harry S.)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Origins of American Animation, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Momand, Arthur R, Gaumont Co, Mutual Film Corporation, and Afi/Zouary. Keeping up with the Joneses. Men's styles. directeds by Palmer, H. S. , -1955Ectionuction, Writing, produceds by Palmer, H. S. , -1955Ectionuction, Writing [United States: Mutual Film Corp, 1915] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694008/.
APA citation style:
Momand, A. R., Gaumont Co, Mutual Film Corporation & Afi/Zouary. (1915) Keeping up with the Joneses. Men's styles. Palmer, H. S., dir, Palmer, H. S., prod [United States: Mutual Film Corp] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694008/.
MLA citation style:
Momand, Arthur R, et al. Keeping up with the Joneses. Men's styles. dir by Palmer, H. S. , -1955Ectionuction, Writing, prod by Palmer, H. S. , -1955Ectionuction, Writing [United States: Mutual Film Corp, 1915] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694008/>.