Film, Video Mary & Gretel Mary and Gretel
About this Item
- Mary & Gretel
- Mary and Gretel
- "Alice in Wonderland meets the Garden of Eden in this surreal fable of a drunk rabbit, bowling dwarfs, and the two bewildered girls of the title"--Origins of American animation 1900-1921 notes.
- "Mary & Gretel explore the forest and come across Rip Van Winkle, drunken woodsmen, and a bunny. They pluck magic flowers and a fairy appears and sends them home"--Silent animated films at the Library of Congress.
- Moss, Howard S.
- Toyland Films.
- Peter Pan Film Corp.
- AFI/Ashton (James) Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Peter Pan Film Corp., .
- - Imaginary places--Drama
- - Dolls--Drama
- - Toys--Drama
- - Dwarfs (Folklore)--Drama
- - Van Winkle, Rip (Fictitious character)--Drama
- Fantasy films
- Stop-motion animation films
- Puppet films
- Short films
- Fiction films
- - Approximate release date from nitrate edge code.
- - Duration: 4:02 (part 1) and 2:51 (part 2) at 20 fps.
- - Adapted from a series of books entitled Motoys in life, published by Toyland Publishing Co., New York.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Digital file includes a piano score composed and performed by Philip Carli.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1912-1939; Library of Congress video collection, v. 3, Origins of American animation, 1900-1921; McIntire, J. Silent animated films at the Library of Congress, 1995.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 530 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 530 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FEB 9140 (viewing print)
- FPE 4655 (dupe neg pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Afi/Ashton (James) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Moss, Howard S.
- Peter Pan Film Corp
- Toyland Films
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Origins of American Animation, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Moss, Howard S, Toyland Films, Peter Pan Film Corp, and Afi/Ashton. Mary & Gretel. [United States: Peter Pan Film Corp, 1917] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694019/.
APA citation style:
Moss, H. S., Toyland Films, Peter Pan Film Corp & Afi/Ashton. (1917) Mary & Gretel. [United States: Peter Pan Film Corp] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694019/.
MLA citation style:
Moss, Howard S, et al. Mary & Gretel. [United States: Peter Pan Film Corp, 1917] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694019/>.