Film, Video The first circus Tony Sarg's almanac: "The first circus"
About this Item
- The first circus
- Tony Sarg's almanac: "The first circus"
- During the stone-age the Stonehenge Circus entertained cavemen and women. The circus had a dinosaur that doubled as a trampoline and tightrope for the acrobats.
- Sarg, Tony, 1882-1942.
- Dawley, Herbert M., 1880-1970, production.
- Herbert M. Dawley Productions.
- Rialto Productions.
- AFI/Uhl (Clement) Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Rialto Productions, 1921.
- - Prehistoric peoples--Drama
- - Circus--Drama
- - Dinosaurs--Drama
- - Circus performers--Drama
- - Circus animals--Drama
- - Acrobats--Drama
- - Acrobatics--Drama
- - Stone age--Drama
- Fantasy films
- Silhouette animation films
- Silent films
- Short films
- Fiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Main and end titles lacking.
- - Duration: 2:24 (part 1) and 3:28 (part 2) at 20 fps.
- - Summary from J. McIntire, Silent animated films at the Library of Congress.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. See reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Digital file includes a piano score composed and performed by Philip Carli.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1912-1939; Library of Congress video collection, v. 3, Origins of American animation, 1900-1921; McIntire, J. Silent animated films at the Library of Congress, 1995; Big cartoon database WWW site, viewed March 26, 2012.
- 1 film reel of 1 (inc.) (ca. 495 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FEB 8413 (viewing print)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Afi/Uhl (Clement) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Dawley, Herbert M.
- Herbert M. Dawley Productions
- Rialto Productions
- Sarg, Tony
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Origins of American Animation, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sarg, Tony, Herbert M. Dawley Productions, Rialto Productions, and Afi/Uhl. The First Circus. produceds by Dawley, Herbert M., Uction United States: Rialto Productions, 1921. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694026/.
APA citation style:
Sarg, T., Herbert M. Dawley Productions, Rialto Productions & Afi/Uhl. (1921) The First Circus. Dawley, H. M., prod United States: Rialto Productions. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694026/.
MLA citation style:
Sarg, Tony, et al. The First Circus. prod by Dawley, Herbert M., Uction United States: Rialto Productions, 1921. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694026/>.