Film, Video Bucking broncho Bucking bronco / Bucking bronchos
About this Item
- Bucking broncho
- Bucking bronco
- Bucking bronchos
- "A fine exhibition of horsemanship by Lee Martin, a genuine cowboy. This particular broncho is an unusually wicked one. 40 feet"--Edison films catalog, no. 105.
- Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie), 1860-1935, production.
- Heise, William, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 
- - Martin, Lee--(Cowboy)
- - Hammitt, Frank,--1869-1903
- - Bronc riding--United States
- - Cowboys--United States
- - Horsemanship--United States
- - Buffalo Bill's Wild West & Congress of Rough Riders of the World
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Appearing: Lee Martin, Frank Hammitt.
- - Camera, William Heise.
- - Duration: 0:21 at 30 fps.
- - Filmed October 16, 1894, at the Edison laboratory in West Orange, N.J.
- - Lee Martin and Frank Hammitt were cowboy stars appearing in Buffalo Bill's Wild West. In October, 1894, the two cowboys brought their favorite horses, Sunfish and El Diablo, to appear before Edison kinetograph in West Orange, New Jersey. The interior of the Black Maria studio was not large enough to accomodate the horses, so an area to the rear of the studio was fenced off for the cowboys. Martin gave an exhibition of broncho busting on Sunfish, while Hammitt sat on the fence and fired off his revolver.
- - Sources used: Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 140-141; "Before the Kinetograph", the Orange journal, October 18, 1894, p. 5 (in Edison motion pictures, 1890-1900); Raff & Gammon. Price list of films, ca. June 1895, p. 1 [MI]; Maguire & Baucus. Edison and international photographic films catalogue, April 1897, p. 3 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 49 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - 35 mm viewing print renumbered: FEC 8099 to FYA 3355.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (39 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FYA 3355 (viewing print)
- Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, and Inc Thomas A. Edison. Bucking Broncho. produceds by Dickson, W. K.-L. , Uction [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1894] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694113/.
APA citation style:
Heise, W. & Thomas A. Edison, I. (1894) Bucking Broncho. Dickson, W. K. -., prod [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694113/.
MLA citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, and Inc Thomas A. Edison. Bucking Broncho. prod by Dickson, W. K.-L. , Uction [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1894] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694113/>.