Film, Video [Dickson experimental sound film] /
About this Item
- [Dickson experimental sound film] /
- Other Title
- Dickson violin
- Dancing men in the Black Maria
- Experimental sound film made for Edison's kinetophone -- a combination of the kinetoscope and phonograph -- but apparently never distributed. This LC copy is silent. Features two men dancing to a violinist.
- Shows W. K. L. Dickson playing the violin before a large phonograph horn connected with an off-screen reader while two men dance together. Part of Dickson's sound-synchronization experiments.
- Contributor Names
- Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie), 1860-1935, production, cast.
- D'Almaine, Charles, 1871-1943, cast.
- Heise, William, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Dunston (Gatewood) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Edison Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Sound motion pictures--Experiments
- - Kinetophone
- - Violinists
- - Dance
- - Male dancers
- Experimental films
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Performer: W.K.L. Dickson or Charles D'Almaine.
- - Camera, William Heise.
- - Duration: 0:21 at 30 fps.
- - LC also holds a copy of the synchronized sound version in the videodisc collection, More treasures from American film archives, 1894-1931.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed ca. September 1894 to April 2, 1895, in Edison's Black Maria studio in West Orange, N.J.
- - This film was selected for the National Film Registry.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 178.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 20 sec., 43 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 20 sec., 43 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. dupe neg pic.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 0374 (viewing print)
- FPF 1290 (dupe neg pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Dickson, W. K.-L. (william Kennedy-Laurie)
Dunston (gatewood) Collection (library of Congress)
Edison Collection (library of Congress)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Sound Motion Pictures
Articles and Essays with this item:
- Early Edison Experiements with Sight and Sound - Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies - Digital Collections
- Early Motion Picture Productions - Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies - Digital Collections
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
D'Almaine, Charles, Cast, William Heise, Inc Thomas A. Edison, Dunston, and Edison Collection. [Dickson Experimental Sound Film].  Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694117/. (Accessed August 27, 2016.)
APA citation style:
D'Almaine, C., Heise, W., Thomas A. Edison, I., Dunston & Edison Collection. (1895) [Dickson experimental sound film]. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694117/.
MLA citation style:
D'Almaine, Charles, Cast, et al. [Dickson Experimental Sound Film].  Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694117/>.