Film, Video Down the old Potomac
About this Item
- Down the old Potomac
- Follows a week-long, 180-mile trip on the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal through the Potomac Valley from Cumberland, Md., to Washington, D.C. Includes scenes of the locks in operation; a mile-long, hand-dug tunnel which was built in 1840; coal barges plying the canal; Maryland farming country; Harper's Ferry; and Great Falls.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Kleine (George) Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1917.
- - Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md. and Washington, D.C.)
- - Paw Paw Tunnel (Md.)
- - Maryland--Description and travel
- - Washington (D.C.)--Description and travel
- - Potomac River Valley
- - Harpers Ferry (W. Va.)
- - Great Falls of the Potomac (Md. and Va.)
- - Locks (Hydraulic engineering)
- Travelogues (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright notice on film: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. ; 1917.
- - Duration: approximately 11 min. at 16 fps.
- - Filmed in along the Chespeake and Ohio Canal in Maryland, West Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- - A Conquest Picture.
- - Originally intended for inclusion in the Conquest program series, but never released as a part of the series.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1912-1939; George Kleine Collection...catalog, p. 31.
- - Collection purchased from Kleine estate March 27, 1947. 35 mm. nitrate film destroyed.
- - The George Kleine Collection of early motion pictures in the Library of Congress : a catalog / prepared by Rita Horwitz and Harriet Harrison with the assistance of Wendy White. Library of Congress, 1980.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 276 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (276 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (276 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- non-viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (276 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 1477 (viewing print)
- FLA 1941 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FRA 3810 (dupe neg pic)
- FRA 3811 (non-viewing print)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Great Falls of the Potomac
- Harpers Ferry
- Ohio Canal
- Paw Paw Tunnel
- Potomac River Valley
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia
- Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md. And Washington, D.C.)
- Description and Travel
- Great Falls of the Potomac (Md. And Va.)
- Harpers Ferry (W. Va.)
- Locks (Hydraulic Engineering)
- Nonfiction Films
- Paw Paw Tunnel (Md.)
- Potomac River Valley
- Short Films
- Silent Films
- Travelogues (Motion Pictures)
- Washington (D.C.)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Kleine. Down the old Potomac. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1917. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694119/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Kleine. (1917) Down the old Potomac. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694119/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Kleine. Down the old Potomac. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1917. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694119/>.