Film, Video Down the old Potomac
About this Item
- Down the old Potomac
- Follows a week-long, 180-mile trip on the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal through the Potomac Valley from Cumberland, Md., to Washington, D.C. Includes scenes of the locks in operation; a mile-long, hand-dug tunnel which was built in 1840; coal barges plying the canal; Maryland farming country; Harper's Ferry; and Great Falls.
- Contributor Names
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Kleine (George) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1917.
- Subject Headings
- - Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md. and Washington, D.C.)
- - Canals--Maryland
- - Canals--Washington (D.C.)
- - Potomac River Valley
- - Locks (Hydraulic engineering)
- - Tunnels
- - Barges
- - Coal-carrying vessels
- - Harpers Ferry (W. Va.)
- - Great Falls of the Potomac (Md. and Va.)
- - Maryland--Description and travel
- - Washington (D.C.)--Description and travel
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Duration: 3:54 (part 1), 4:00 (part 2), and 3:36 (part 3) at 16 fps.
- - According to the Kleine catalog, this film was originally intended for inclusion in the Conquest program, but was never released in that series.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1912-1939; George Kleine Collection catalog, 1980, p. 31.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- ref print. 1 reel of 1 (ca. 276 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 1477 (ref print)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsKleine (George) Collection (Library of Congress)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Great Falls of the Potomac
Potomac River Valley
SubjectsActualities (Motion Pictures)
Chesapeake and Ohio Canal (Md. And Washington, D.C.)
Description and Travel
Great Falls of the Potomac (Md. And Va.)
Harpers Ferry (W. Va.)
Locks (Hydraulic Engineering)
Potomac River Valley
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Kleine. Down the old Potomac. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1917. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694119/. (Accessed December 09, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Kleine. (1917) Down the old Potomac. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694119/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Kleine. Down the old Potomac. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1917. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694119/>.