Film, Video Imperial Japanese dance Japanese dance
About this Item
- Imperial Japanese dance
- Other Title
- Japanese dance
- From Raff & Gammon price list: Three Japanese ladies in the costumes of their country.
- From Edison films catalog: A charming representation of The Mikado dance by three beautiful Japanese ladies in full costume. Very effective when colored. 45 feet. $6.75.
- Contributor Names
- Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie), 1860-1935, production.
- Heise, William, camera.
- Sarashe Sisters, performers.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- AFI/Holt (H.L.) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 
- Subject Headings
- - Dance--United States
- - Dancers--United States
- - Japanese--United States
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Performers: Sarashe Sisters.
- - Camera, William Heise.
- - Duration: 0:28 at 24 fps.
- - Filmed ca. October-November 1894, in Edison's Black Maria studio.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 153; Raff & Gammon. Price list of films, ca. June 1895, p. 2 [MI]; Maguire & Baucus. Edison and international photographic films catalogue, April 1897, p. 10 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 53 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- 1 reel of 1 (ca. 44 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. ref print.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEA 8439
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- From Raff & Gammon price list: Three Japanese ladies in the costumes of their country. From Edison films catalog: A charming representation of The Mikado dance by three beautiful Japanese ladies in full costume. Very effective when colored. 45 feet. $6.75.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsAfi/Holt (H.L.) Collection (Library of Congress)
Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Filmed Vaudeville Acts
Peep Shows (Motion Pictures)
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Afi/Holt. Imperial Japanese dance. [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1894] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694125/. (Accessed November 23, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Heise, W., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Afi/Holt. (1894) Imperial Japanese dance. [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694125/.
MLA citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Afi/Holt. Imperial Japanese dance. [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1894] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694125/>.