Film, Video Imperial Japanese dance Japanese dance
About this Item
- Imperial Japanese dance
- Japanese dance
- "A charming representation of The Mikado dance by three beautiful Japanese ladies in full costume. Very effective when colored. 45 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie), 1860-1935, production.
- Heise, William, camera.
- Sarashe Sisters, performers.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- AFI/Holt (H.L.) Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 
- - Dance--Japan
- - Dancers--United States
- Filmed vaudeville acts
- Filmed dance
- Peep shows (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Performers: Sarashe Sisters.
- - Camera, William Heise.
- - Duration: 0:28 at 24 fps.
- - Filmed ca. October-November 1894, in Edison's Black Maria studio, in West Orange, New Jersey.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 153; Raff & Gammon. Price list of films, ca. June 1895, p. 2 [MI]; Maguire & Baucus. Edison and international photographic films catalogue, April 1897, p. 10 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 53 [MI].
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPB 9182 to FZA 2397.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (44 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (44 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FEA 8439 (viewing print)
- FZA 2397 (dupe neg pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Afi/Holt (H.L.) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie)
- Heise, William
- Sarashe Sisters
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Afi/Holt. Imperial Japanese dance. performeds by Sarashe Sisterss, produceds by Dickson, W. K.-L. , Uction [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1894] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694125/.
APA citation style:
Heise, W., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Afi/Holt. (1894) Imperial Japanese dance. Sarashe Sisterss, performer, Dickson, W. K. -., prod [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694125/.
MLA citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Afi/Holt. Imperial Japanese dance. performer by Sarashe Sisterss, prod by Dickson, W. K.-L. , Uction [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1894] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694125/>.