Film, Video Leonard-Cushing fight
Digital viewing copy
About this Item
- Leonard-Cushing fight
- "An actual six-round contest between Mike Leonard, commonly called the "Beau Brummel" of pugilism, and Jack Cushing. Full of hard fighting, clever hits, punches, leads, dodges, body blows and some slugging. Sold by rounds. Each round contains 150 feet"--Edison films catalog, no. 105.
- Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie), 1860-1935, production.
- Heise, William, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Kinetoscope Exhibition Company.
Created / Published
- United States : Kinetoscope Exhibition Company, 1894.]
- - Leonard, Mike--(Michael Wellington)
- - Cushing, Jack
- Filmed boxing matches
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - Appearing: Mike Leonard, Jack Cushing.
- - Camera, William Heise.
- - Originally released for kinetoscope exhibition.
- - Duration: 0:37 at 30 fps.
- - Incomplete: LC copy is just part of one round.
- - Filmed June 14, 1894, in Edison's Black Maria studio in West Orange, New Jersey.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 102-103; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 51 [MI].
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (inc.) (69 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 8106 (viewing print)
- Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie)
- Heise, William
- Kinetoscope Exhibition Company
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894-1915, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Kinetoscope Exhibition Company. Leonard-Cushing fight. produceds by Dickson, W. K.-L. , Uction [United States: Kinetoscope Exhibition Company, 1894] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694127/.
APA citation style:
Heise, W., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Kinetoscope Exhibition Company. (1894) Leonard-Cushing fight. Dickson, W. K. -., prod [United States: Kinetoscope Exhibition Company] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694127/.
MLA citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Kinetoscope Exhibition Company. Leonard-Cushing fight. prod by Dickson, W. K.-L. , Uction [United States: Kinetoscope Exhibition Company, 1894] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694127/>.