Film, Video May Irwin kiss Kiss
About this Item
- May Irwin kiss
- Other Title
- From Maguire & Baucus catalogue: An osculatory performance by May Irwin and John Rice. The most popular subject ever shown.
- From Edison films catalog: By May Irwin and John Rice. They get ready to kiss, begin to kiss, and kiss and kiss and kiss in a way that brings down the house every time. 50 feet. $7.50.
- Contributor Names
- Heise, William, camera.
- Irwin, May, 1862-1938, cast.
- Rice, John C., cast.
- McNally, John J., 1853 or 1854-1931.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1896.
- Subject Headings
- - Kissing
- Comedy films
- Novelty films
- Short films
- Silent films
- - May Irwin (Beatrice Byke), John C. Rice (Billy Bilke).
- - Camera, William Heise.
- - Duration: 0:18 at 30 fps.
- - Scene from the New York stage comedy, The widow Jones, by John J. McNally, in which Irwin and Rice starred. According to Edison film historian Charles Musser, the actors staged their kiss for the camera at the request of the New York World newspaper, and the resulting film was the most popular Edison Vitascope film in 1896.
- - Filmed April 1896, in Edison's Black Maria studio in West Orange, New Jersey.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - This film was selected for the National Film Registry.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 197-99; Maguire & Baucus. Edison and international photographic films catalogue, April 1897, p. 11 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 70 [MI]; Eagan, D. America's film legacy, p. 4-5.
- - 35 mm viewing print renumbered: FEC 8087 to FYA 0597.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 34 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FYA 0597 (viewing print)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Heise, William
- Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Irwin, May
- McNally, John J.
- Rice, John C.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, May Irwin, John C Rice, John J McNally, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Hendricks. May Irwin kiss. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1896. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694131/.
APA citation style:
Heise, W., Irwin, M., Rice, J. C., McNally, J. J., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Hendricks. (1896) May Irwin kiss. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694131/.
MLA citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, et al. May Irwin kiss. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1896. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694131/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoNewark athlete. [No. 2]
Club swinger. | Indian club swinger | Newark athlete. Experimental film made with the Edison-Dickson-Heise experimental horizontal-feed kinetograph camera and viewer, using 3/4-inch wide film. Film reoriented by Gordon Hendricks.
- Contributor: Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie) - Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress) - Heise, William
- Date: 1891
Film, VideoEdison kinetoscopic record of a sneeze, January 7, 1894
Sneeze | Fred Ott's sneeze | Ott's sneeze | Kinetoscopic record of a sneeze "Considered to be the first motion picture given legal status by copyright acceptance. The forty-five frames it contains were sent in for copyright as a still picture. The action consists of a...
- Contributor: Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress) - Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie) - Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress) - Heise, William
- Date: 1894
Film, VideoThe boxing cats (Prof. Welton's)
Prof. Welton's boxing cats Professor Welton presents an amusing fight between two trained cats wearing boxing gloves.
- Contributor: Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Welton, Henry - Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie) - Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress) - Heise, William
- Date: 1894
Film, VideoThe kiss
New kiss From Edison films catalog: Nothing new, but an old thing done over again and done well. Some one has attempted to describe a kiss as "something made of nothing," but this is...
- Contributor: Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress) - Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Date: 1900
Film, VideoA morning bath An African American mother is shown giving her struggling child a bath. She thrusts him, kicking and struggling, into a tub of foaming suds.
- Contributor: Thomas A. Edison, Inc - Heise, William - Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress) - White, James H. (James Henry)
- Date: 1896