Film, Video Newark athlete. Club swinger. / Indian club swinger / Newark athlete.
About this Item
- Newark athlete.
- Other Title
- Club swinger.
- Indian club swinger
- Newark athlete.
- Experimental film fragment made with the Edison-Dickson-Heise experimental horizontal-feed kinetograph camera and viewer, using 3/4-inch wide film. This is the "reanimated" version of the fragment by Gordon Hendricks.
- Contributor Names
- Dickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie), 1860-1935, production, camera.
- Heise, William, production, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- Subject Headings
- - Cinematography--United States--Experiments
- - Athletes--United States
- - Athletics--United States
- - Gymnastics--United States
- Sports (Nonfiction)
- - Copyright: no reg.
- - Camera, W.K.L. Dickson and William Heise.
- - Duration: 0:12 at 16 fps.
- - MAVIS 47558.
- - Filmed ca. May to June 1891, in the Photographic Building at the Edison Laboratory, West Orange, New Jersey.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 74.
- - Received: 5-13-1994; viewing print; preservation; Hendricks (Gordon) Collection.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., ca. 12 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. viewing print.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 8059 (viewing print)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- Experimental film made with the Edison-Dickson-Heise experimental horizontal-feed kinetograph camera and viewer, using 3/4-inch wide film. Film reoriented by Gordon Hendricks.
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
- Selections from the National Film Registry (67)
- National Screening Room (91)
- Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies (431)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,903)
- American Memory (498,407)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (924,223)
ContributorsDickson, W. K.-L. (William Kennedy-Laurie)
Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Articles and Essays with this item:
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Hendricks. Newark Athlete.  Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694133/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Hendricks. (1891) Newark Athlete. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694133/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Hendricks. Newark Athlete.  Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694133/>.