Film, Video Battle of Mafeking /
About this Item
- Battle of Mafeking /
- From Edison films catalog: In the opening of this picture we see in the foreground a company of Highlanders preparing for a charge on the Boer entrenchments seen in the distance. Just in advance of the Highlanders, two pieces of artillery have just been placed in position, and these immediately open fire upon the enemy. After several volleys from the battery, the Highlanders charge. They only reach a point just in advance of the battery, when they are attacked on the flank by a troop of Boer Cavalry, who come on the scene riding like madmen. All the Artillerymen fall about their guns except one, who runs to join the Highlanders, but is brought to earth by a shot from one of the Cavalrymen. The Boers close with the Highlanders and a hand to hand fight is waged, in which the smoke becomes so thick that it is difficult to distinguish Boer from Briton. A Cavalryman is seen to fall mortally wounded from his horse, who walks off the field with an empty saddle. This is a very exciting picture. 75 feet. $11.25.
- Contributor Names
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Mitchell, Mason, production.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- Subject Headings
- - South African War, 1899-1902--Drama
- - Battles--South Africa--Drama
- - Mafikeng (South Africa)--Drama
- - Artillery--South Africa--Drama
- - Cavalry--South Africa--Drama
- War films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- Historical reenactments (Motion pictures)
- - D9117 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 28Apr1900; D9117.
- - Duration: 1:15 at 18 fps.
- - Filmed ca. April 15-24, 1900, in the Orange Mountains, West Orange, New Jersey.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 588-89; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 29-30 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- ref print. 1 reel of 1 (ca. 75 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos. 1 roll of 1 (ca. 75 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 2308 (ref print)
- LC 1483 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Niver (kemp) Collection (library of Congress)
Paper Print Collection (library of Congress)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
White, James H. (james Henry)
Historical Reenactments (motion Pictures)
Mafikeng (south Africa)
South African War
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Battle of Mafeking. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694152/. (Accessed September 28, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1900) Battle of Mafeking. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694152/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Battle of Mafeking. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694152/>.