Film, Video Bombardment of Taku Forts, by the Allied fleets
About this Item
- Bombardment of Taku Forts, by the Allied fleets
- "The scene opens by showing the battleships maneuvering for a position. They finally draw up in line of battle and commence firing on the shore batteries. Immense volumes of smoke arise from the fleet and from the distant shore. Shots are seen to fall thickly among the vessels and immense bodies of water are thrown up by the explosion of mines. A very exciting naval battle"--Edison films catalog no. 105.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- - Taku Forts (China)--Bombardment, 1900
- - China--History--Boxer Rebellion, 1899-1901
- - Naval battles--China
- Novelty films
- Historical reenactments (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - D16704 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 16Aug1900; D16704.
- - Duration: 3:06 at 16 fps.
- - Filmed around June 19, 1900.
- - Miniature recreation of the Boxer Rebellion battle that occurred June 17, 1900. According to Musser's Edison motion pictures, "It seems probable that an Edison licensee made the film very shortly after the event, exploited the picture as an exclusive on its exhibition circuit and then turned over the negative to the Edison company".
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1965) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 602; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 33; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 16 [MI]; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 108.
- - paper pos (copies 1 and 2) Received: 1900-08-16; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm viewing print renumbered: FEC 2312 to FYA 3328.
- - Paper print roll lacking suffix.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (81 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 200 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (81 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 200 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 80 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 200 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 200 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4979 (viewing print)
- FYA 3328 (viewing print)
- FRA 0282 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 7964 (dupe neg pic)
- FRB 3077 (master pos pic)
- Box 0660 (paper pos)
- Box 5212 (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Bombardment of Taku Forts, by the Allied fleets. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694156/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1900) Bombardment of Taku Forts, by the Allied fleets. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694156/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Bombardment of Taku Forts, by the Allied fleets. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694156/>.