Film, Video Building a harbor at San Pedro Building a harbor at San Pedro, California
About this Item
- Building a harbor at San Pedro
- Building a harbor at San Pedro, California
- "This picture was secured from a launch furnished by Mr. Eager, President of the California Construction Co., who are fulfilling this $5,000,000 contract. Here is seen the largest derrick in the world at work, showing the huge arm straining and swaying. The spray effects are very fine, as the huge rocks strike the water, sending beautiful masses of foam hundreds of feet in the air and drenching the men at work on the cars. The derrick is at work on a long pier which extends out in the sea for a distance of about two miles, and for this reason we were obliged to secure our picture from a launch"--Edison films catalog no. 135.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1901.
- - Harbors--Design and construction
- - San Pedro Bay (Calif. : Bay)
- - Harbors--California--Los Angeles
- - Cranes, derricks, etc.--California--Los Angeles
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H11749 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 19Dec1901; H11749.
- - Duration: 4:00 at 14 fps.
- - Photographed in 1901 in San Pedro, California.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1968) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 39; Edison films catalog, no. 135, Sept. 1902, p. 54-55 [MI]; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 129-130.
- - paper pos (copy 1) Received: 1901-12-19; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - Paper print roll lacking suffix.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (91 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 200 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (91 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 200 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 200 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 200 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4982 (viewing print)
- FEC 1629 (viewing print)
- FRA 0342 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 7076 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0129 (paper pos)
- Box 5681B (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894-1915, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Building a harbor at San Pedro. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694162/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1901) Building a harbor at San Pedro. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694162/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Building a harbor at San Pedro. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694162/>.