Film, Video The burning stable
About this Item
- The burning stable
- From Maguire & Baucus catalogues: Shows a barn actually in flames, from which four horses and a burning wagon are rescued by firemen and stable hands. The scene is exciting, full of action from beginning to end, and all its details are clearly and sharply defined. Thick volumes of smoke pouring from the doors and windows of the stable add greatly to the realistic effect.
- From Edison films catalog: A burning wagon is dragged from the barn by the firemen, and four horses are rescued from the flames by the stablement. Thick volumes of smoke pour from doors and windows. 115 feet. 17.25. 50 feet. $7.50.
- Contributor Names
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Heise, William, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1896.
- Subject Headings
- - Fires--United States
- - Fire fighters--United States
- - Stables--Fires and fire prevention--United States
- - Horses
- - Barns--Fires and fire prevention--United States
- - Stablehands--United States
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- - 60143 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 31Oct1896; 60143.
- - Duration: 0:20 at 30 fps.
- - Camera, William Heise.
- - MAVIS 183872.
- - Filmed ca. late October 1896.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 251; Maguire & Baucus. Edison films, supp. catalogue, Jan. 20, 1897, p. 2 [MI]; Maguire & Baucus. Edison and international photographic films catalogue, April 1897, p. 4 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 54 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - viewing print; Received: 5-13-1994; preservation; Hendricks (Gordon) Collection.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 1 min., 37 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 8073 (viewing print)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Hendricks (Gordon) Collection (Library of Congress)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
White, James H. (James Henry)
SubjectsActualities (Motion Pictures)
Fires and Fire Prevention
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Hendricks. The Burning Stable. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1896. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694165/. (Accessed February 26, 2017.)
APA citation style:
Heise, W., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Hendricks. (1896) The Burning Stable. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694165/.
MLA citation style:
Heise, William, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Hendricks. The Burning Stable. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1896. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694165/>.