Film, Video Capture of Boer battery by British Capture of Boer battery by the British
About this Item
- Capture of Boer battery by British
- Capture of Boer battery by the British
- "Nothing can exceed the stubborn resistance shown by the Gordon Highlanders, as we see them steadily advancing in the face of a murderous fire of the Boers, who are making their guns speak with rapid volleys. One by one the gunners fall beside their guns, and as the smoke clears for an instant the Highlanders are seen gaining nearer and nearer the disputed ground. Finally, a grand charge is made, the siege is carried, and amid cheers they plant the colors on the spot they have so dearly earned. 100 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- - South African War, 1899-1902
- - Battles--South Africa
- - Great Britain.--Army.--Gordon Highlanders
- - Afrikaners
- Historical reenactments (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - D7811 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 14Apr1900; D7811.
- - Duration: 1:33 at 16 fps.
- - Filmed April 11, 1900, in the Orange Mountains, West Orange, New Jersey.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1525) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 587; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 46; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 28-29 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 9643 to FZA 3111.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (43 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (43 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4539 (viewing print)
- FEC 2809 (viewing print)
- FRA 1574 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 3111 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0501A (paper pos)
- Box 5063C (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Capture of Boer battery by British. produceds by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694169/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1900) Capture of Boer battery by British. White, J. H. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694169/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Capture of Boer battery by British. prod by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694169/>.