Film, Video Charge of Boer cavalry [no. 2]
About this Item
- Charge of Boer cavalry [no. 2]
- "In the distance is seen a number of grey objects rapidly approaching, which, upon drawing closer, are recognized as a company of Boer cavalry. As they draw nearer, you can see that they are straining every nerve and urging their horses to the utmost speed. Waving their sabres aloft on they come, so that the audience involuntarily make an effort to move from their seats in order to avoid being trampled under the horses"--Edison films catalog.
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- - South African War, 1899-1902
- - Afrikaners
- - Cavalry
- Historical reenactments (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - D7877 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 16Apr1900; D7877.
- - Duration: 0:31 at 24 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1189) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed April 11, 1900, in the Orange Mountains, West Orange, New Jersey.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 588; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 52; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 28 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4203 (viewing print)
- FEC 2803 (viewing print)
- FRA 1366 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 9653 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0015H (paper pos)
- Box 5038B (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Charge of Boer cavalry no. 2. produceds by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694175/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1900) Charge of Boer cavalry no. 2. White, J. H. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694175/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Charge of Boer cavalry no. 2. prod by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694175/>.