Film, Video Colored troops disembarking Colored troops disembarking (24th U.S. Infantry)
About this Item
- Colored troops disembarking
- Colored troops disembarking (24th U.S. Infantry)
- "The steamer "Mascotte" has reached her dock at Port Tampa, and the 2d Battalion of Colored Infantry is going ashore. Tide is very high, and the gang plank is extra steep; and it is laughable to see the extreme caution displayed by the soldiers clambering down. The commanding officer struts on the wharf, urging them to hurry. Two boat stewards in glistening white duck coats, are interested watchers--looking for "tips" perhaps. The picture is full of fine light and shadow effects. 50 feet"--Edison films "war extra" catalog.
- Paley, William Daly, 1857-1924, production, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1898.
- - Spanish-American War, 1898--Participation, African American
- - United States.--Army.--Infantry Regiment, 24th (1869-1951)
- - United States.--Army--African American troops
- - African American soldiers--Florida--Tampa
- - Transportation, Military--Florida--Tampa
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 31436 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 20May1898; 31436.
- - Duration: 0:47 at 16 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1287) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed May 1-3, 1898, in Tampa, Florida.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 426; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 91; Edison films "war extra" catalog, May 10, 1898, p. 6 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 9359 to FZA 2449.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (28 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (28 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4301 (viewing print)
- FEC 3003 (viewing print)
- FRA 2850 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 2449 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0553E (paper pos)
- Box 5156A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Colored Troops Disembarking. produceds by Paley, William Daly, Uction, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694179/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1898) Colored Troops Disembarking. Paley, W. D., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694179/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Colored Troops Disembarking. prod by Paley, William Daly, Uction, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694179/>.