Film, Video Fast mail, Northern Pacific R. R. Fast mail Northern Pacific Railroad / Fast mail, N.P.R.R. / Fast mail, Northern Pacific R.R.
About this Item
- Fast mail, Northern Pacific R. R.
- Fast mail Northern Pacific Railroad
- Fast mail, N.P.R.R.
- Fast mail, Northern Pacific R.R.
- "Here is a twelve car train dashing along at a high rate of speed. It is seen first in the distance and approaches and passes by the camera. As it takes less than 30 seconds to show this 50 foot strip on a Projecting Kinetoscope, an idea may be formed of the speed of this pet train of the Northern Pacific Railway. The waving grass along the track side, the black smoke, and the clouds of dust that follow the train, make very vivid effects. 50 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- "Northern Pacific Railway Series. The following pictures were taken by our artists at various points on the Northern Pacific Railway. We are greatly indebted to their officials who afforded us every opportunity in their power to obtain these splendid views. Many of the scenes are incident to the excitement prevailing at the time of the Klondike gold rush. They show the resources of this company for handling large numbers of people, baggage, freight and excursion parties, and give to prospective tourists and merchants an idea of the facilities with which this road handles traffic of all kinds"--Edison films catalog.
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Blechynden, Frederick, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1897.
- - Northern Pacific Railroad Company
- - Railroad trains--Oregon
- - Railway mail service--Oregon
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 68009 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 6Dec1897; 68009.
- - Camera, Frederick Blechynden.
- - Duration: 0:25 at 30 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0045) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed near Portland, Oregon, probably in July or August 1897.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 324-325; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 98; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 9 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 9584 to FZA 2064.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (39 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (39 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3059 (viewing print)
- FEB 0847 (viewing print)
- FRA 0404 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 2064 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0549C (paper pos)
- Box 5449B (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Blechynden, Frederick
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- White, James H. (James Henry)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Fast mail, Northern Pacific R. R. produceds by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694200/.
APA citation style:
Blechynden, F., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1897) Fast mail, Northern Pacific R. R. White, J. H. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694200/.
MLA citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Fast mail, Northern Pacific R. R. prod by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694200/>.