Film, Video Going through the tunnel
About this Item
- Going through the tunnel
- "On the way to Santa Monica, Cal., the train approaches, runs through and emerges from a tunnel. Train passes in opposite direction. Camera is at front end of train, giving a very novel view. 100 feet"--Edison films catalog, no. 94.
- "Southern Pacific Company series: The Southern Pacific Company ("Sunset Route") offers special inducements to winter travelers, by reason of its southern route, thereby avoiding the extreme cold of the winter months. Its course lies through a section of the country that presents a variety of beautiful and picturesque natural scenery. It is also the direct route to the popular resorts of Southern California, thereby making it a favorable route for tourists. The following subjects were taken by our artist while traveling over the very extensive lines of the Southern Pacific Railroad Co., to whom we are indebted for many courtesies, and without whose co-operation we should not have been able to bring before the public these animated photographs of interesting and novel scenes"--Edison films catalog, no. 105.
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Blechynden, Frederick, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1898.
- - Southern Pacific Railroad Company
- - Railroad trains--California--Santa Monica
- - Railroad tunnels--California--Santa Monica
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 13533 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 24Feb1898; 13533.
- - Camera, Frederick Blechynden.
- - Duration: 0:49 at 30 fps.
- - Filmed early January, 1898, in Santa Monica, California.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1627) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 384; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 121; Edison films catalog, no. 94, March 1900, p. 21 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 43 [MI]; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 416.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (45 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (45 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 45 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4641 (viewing print)
- FEB 9438 (viewing print)
- FRA 1671 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 9660 (dupe neg pic)
- FRB 1433 (master pos pic)
- Box 0073A (paper pos)
- Box 5113E (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Blechynden, Frederick
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- White, James H. (James Henry)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Going Through the Tunnel. produceds by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694216/.
APA citation style:
Blechynden, F., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1898) Going Through the Tunnel. White, J. H. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694216/.
MLA citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Going Through the Tunnel. prod by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694216/>.