Film, Video Gun drill by naval cadets at Newport Training School /
About this Item
- Gun drill by naval cadets at Newport Training School /
- From Edison films catalog: Shows the cadets going through the gun drill, also loading, firing and charging. This is also a very stirring picture and is full of animation. 50 feet. $7.50.
- Contributor Names
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- Subject Headings
- - Naval Education and Training Center (U.S.)
- - United States.--Navy--Firearms
- - United States.--Navy--Drill and tactics
- - Nautical training-schools--Rhode Island--Newport
- - Military cadets--Rhode Island--Newport
- - Firearms
- - Naval education--United States
- - Sailors--Education--United States
- - Schools--Exercises and recreations--Rhode Island--Newport
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- - D22021 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 22Nov1900; D22021.
- - Duration: 0:50 at 16 fps.
- - Filmed ca. September to November 1900, at the Naval Training Station in Newport, Rhode Island.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 643; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 26 [MI].
- ref print. 1 reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos. 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEB 9454 (ref print)
- LC 979 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsPaper Print Collection (library of Congress)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
White, James H. (james Henry)
SubjectsActualities (motion Pictures)
Drill and Tactics
Exercises and Recreations
Naval Education and Training Center (u.s.)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Gun drill by naval cadets at Newport Training School. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694221/. (Accessed August 30, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1900) Gun drill by naval cadets at Newport Training School. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694221/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Gun drill by naval cadets at Newport Training School. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694221/>.