Film, Video Life rescue at Long Branch Life rescue scene, Atlantic City, N. J. / Life rescue at Atlantic City
About this Item
- Life rescue at Long Branch
- Life rescue scene, Atlantic City, N. J.
- Life rescue at Atlantic City
- "Shows a number of bathers enjoying a dip in the surf. A young lady is suddenly seized with cramps, throws up her hands, and goes down for the second time. A life boat approaches and one of the life guards seizes her by the hair as she sinks for the last time. She is pulled into the boat and rowed ashore. The picture then dissolves, showing the beach, the half-drowned girl being carried from the boat to the dry sand. A crowd gathers. The girl is finally restored, and is so overjoyed that she hugs the heroic life guard"--Edison films catalog, no. 288, p. 81-82.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1901.
- - Rescues--New Jersey--Long Branch
- - Drowning--Resuscitation--New Jersey--Long Branch
- - Lifesaving--New Jersey--Long Branch
- - Lifeguards--New Jersey--Long Branch
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H8692 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 16Sept1901; H8692.
- - Duration: 2:19 at 16 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1689) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed ca. August to early September 1901.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Before the nickelodeon, p. 180-181; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 182-183; Edison films catalog, no. 288, July 1906, p. 81-82; Musser, C. The emergence of cinema : the American screen to 1907, 1994, p. 208.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (64 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 140 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (64 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 140 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 140 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 140 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4703 (viewing print)
- FEB 9297 (viewing print)
- FRA 1720 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5143 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0084B (paper pos)
- Box 5139J (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Life rescue at Long Branch. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694235/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1901) Life rescue at Long Branch. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694235/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Life rescue at Long Branch. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694235/>.