Film, Video Love in a hammock
About this Item
- Love in a hammock
- Other Title
- Love in a hammok
- From Edison films catalog: A happy young couple are seated in a hammock under an old oak tree, ardently making love and evidently totally oblivious to all that is taking place about them. Two bad boys suddenly appear upon the scene, and one of them climbs into the tree while the other keeps watch. The urchin in the tree scrambles out on an overhanging branch, lying flat on his face, so as to be directly over the happy pair to hear what goes on. When the love making reaches a climax the branch on which the boy is lying breaks. The boy falls into the hammock between the pair of lovers; the hammock breaks with the fall of the boy, and both the boy and the lovers are mixed up in a confused mass upon the ground. The ending is exceedingly ludicrous, and we predict that this subject will be highly amusing. 50 feet. $7.50.
- Contributor Names
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1901.
- Subject Headings
- - Boys--Humor
- - Eavesdropping--Humor
- - Courtship--Humor
- Comedy films
- Silent films
- Short films
- Fiction films
- - H375 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 12Jan1901; H375.
- - Duration: 0:51 at 16 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0683) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Filmed in about December 1900 to early January 1901.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 649; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985, p. 190; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 67 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 20 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. Viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. Viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 20 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. Dupe neg pic.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. Dupe neg pic.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. Paper pos.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. Paper pos (copy 2)
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3697 (viewing print)
- FEB 9716 (viewing print)
- FRA 0946 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5258 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0540C (paper pos)
- Box 5520B (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Love in a Hammock. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694238/. (Accessed October 26, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1901) Love in a Hammock. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694238/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Love in a Hammock. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694238/>.