Film, Video The messenger boy's mistake
About this Item
- The messenger boy's mistake
- "'Cholly' wishes to call on his best girl and send her a large bouquet. To find out if the girl really loves him, he sends a note with the messenger boy requesting her to "wear this" if she does. The boy delivers the note and a package which the young lady opens and finds an old pair of trousers and other masculine wearing apparel. She becomes enraged. When 'Cholly' comes she proceeds to give him instructions as to what to do in the future, etc., but before she finishes, the boy, having discovered his mistake, returns with the right box. 'Cholly' hastily closes up the wrong one, hands it to the boy and kicks him out of the door. He then opens the right box and presents the bouquet himself. She wears the flowers, and things are now all right. 95 ft."--Edison films catalog, no. 288.
- Porter, Edwin S., direction, camera.
- Anderson, Gilbert M., 1880-1971, cast.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1903.
- - Messengers--Humor
- - Delivery of goods--Humor
- - Errors--Humor
- - Courtship--Humor
- Comedy films
- Silent films
- Short films
- Fiction films
- - H36779 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 14Oct1903; H36779.
- - G.M. Anderson.
- - Duration: 1:41 at 16 fps.
- - Photographed September 29, 1903 in Edison's New York City studio.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1709) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 205; Edison films catalog, no. 288, July 1906, p. 27 [MI]; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 668.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (35 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (35 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4723 (viewing print)
- FEB 9353 (viewing print)
- FRA 1738 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5396 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0567E (paper pos)
- Box 5163B (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Anderson, Gilbert M.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Porter, Edwin S.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Anderson, Gilbert M., Cast, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. The Messenger Boy's Mistake. directeds by Porter, Edwin S.Ection, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1903. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694245/.
APA citation style:
Anderson, G. M., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1903) The Messenger Boy's Mistake. Porter, E. S. E., dir United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694245/.
MLA citation style:
Anderson, Gilbert M., Cast, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. The Messenger Boy's Mistake. dir by Porter, Edwin S.Ection, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1903. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694245/>.