Film, Video Montreal Fire Department on runners /
About this Item
- Montreal Fire Department on runners /
- From Edison films catalog: First comes the Chief's sleigh with old-fashioned side runners, containing the Chief and his driver. Next comes a chemical apparatus mounted on a stout double runner sled, which is followed closely by hose apparatus mounted on double runner sleds. Next comes a water tower mounted on a set of double runners and drawn by four beautiful horses. This is followed very closely by an engine drawn by a four-horse string team. Next comes a hook and ladder mounted on a double set of runners and drawn by a four-horse string team. This is followed by another engine on double runners and drawn by a four-horse string team, and a second hose carriage, and a Protective Insurance outfit bring up in the rear. The different apparatus, with their puffing horses, make a very exciting appearance as they pass the camera. It being a very cold day, the breath leaves the horses nostrils in great white puffs as they gallop through the snow-clad streets. Length 100 feet. $15.00.
- Contributor Names
- Paley, William Daly, 1857-1924, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1901.
- Subject Headings
- - Fire fighters--Québec (Province)--Montréal
- - Fire engines--Québec (Province)--Montréal
- - Sleighs--Québec (Province)--Montréal
- - Montreal (Quebec).--Fire Department
- - Horses--Québec (Province)--Montréal
- - Horse-drawn vehicles--Québec (Province)--Montréal
- - Fire chiefs--Québec (Province)--Montréal
- - Snow--Québec (Province)--Montréal
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- - H2443 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 19Mar1901; H2443.
- - Camera, William Paley.
- - Duration: 1:45 at 16 fps.
- - Filmed in March 1901.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Before the nickelodeon, 1991, p. 194-95; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 55 [MI].
- ref print. 1 reel of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos. 1 roll of 1 (ca. 100 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 2201 (ref print)
- LC 1717 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsNiver (kemp) Collection (library of Congress)
Paley, William Daly
Paper Print Collection (library of Congress)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
SubjectsActualities (motion Pictures)
Service De Sécurité Incendie De Montréal
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Paley, William Daly, , Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Montreal Fire Department on runners. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694247/. (Accessed July 28, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Paley, W. D., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1901) Montreal Fire Department on runners. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694247/.
MLA citation style:
Paley, William Daly, , Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Montreal Fire Department on runners. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694247/>.