Film, Video The old maid having her picture taken Old maid posing for her picture
About this Item
- The old maid having her picture taken
- Old maid posing for her picture
- "Scene opens in a photographer's studio. A typical old maid, impersonated by Mr. Gilbert Saroni [sic], enters to have her picture made. While the photographer is making his camera ready the old maid walks about the studio. She first looks at a hanger with a number of photo samples, which immediately falls from the wall, not being able to stand her gaze. She then looks at the clock and her face frightens the clock and causes the hands to turn around at lightning speed, and the clock suddenly falls to the floor with a crash. She then walks over to the mirror to ascertain the trouble, and as she presents herself in front of the glass it suddenly cracks in several places. The photographer then sits her in a chair and poses her ready for her picture. Just as he is to press the button the camera explodes with a great puff of smoke, completely destroying the camera and demolishing the studio. The picture finishes up with the old maid tipping back in her chair and losing her balance, displaying a large quantity of fancy lace goods. A sure winner. Length 75 feet"--Edison films catalog, no. 105.
- Porter, Edwin S., production.
- Sarony, Gilbert, cast.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1901.
- - Ugliness--Humor
- - Older women--Humor
- - Portrait photography--Humor
- Comedy films
- Silent films
- Short films
- Fiction films
- - H1494 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 1Mar1901; H1494.
- - Gilbert Sarony (Old maid).
- - Duration: 1:16 at 16 fps.
- - Probably photographed in February, 1901 in Edison's New York City studio.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0739) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 227; Musser, C. Before the nickelodeon, p. 167-169; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 76-77 [MI]; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 749; Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912.
- - paper pos (copy 2) Received: 1901-03-01; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm viewing print renumbered: FEB 9715 to FYA 3756.
- - Paper print roll lacking suffix.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (38 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 75 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (38 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 75 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 40 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 75 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 75 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3753 (viewing print)
- FYA 3756 (viewing print)
- FRB 0999 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5264 (dupe neg pic)
- FRB 0602 (master pos pic)
- Box 0157H (paper pos)
- Box 5519 (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sarony, Gilbert, Cast, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. The Old Maid Having Her Picture Taken. produceds by Porter, Edwin S.Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694261/.
APA citation style:
Sarony, G., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1901) The Old Maid Having Her Picture Taken. Porter, E. S. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694261/.
MLA citation style:
Sarony, Gilbert, Cast, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. The Old Maid Having Her Picture Taken. prod by Porter, Edwin S.Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694261/>.