Film, Video Panorama of wreckage of water front Panorama of wreckage on water front, Galveston / Stranded schooners on Galveston Beach
About this Item
- Panorama of wreckage of water front
- Panorama of wreckage on water front, Galveston
- Stranded schooners on Galveston Beach
- "This picture shows the remains of one of the docks, several freight cars being piled one upon the other, while the most interesting part of the picture shows two schooners literally smashed one into the other, forming a most picturesque mass of wreckage. 40 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- "Galveston cyclone series. At the first news of the disaster by cyclone and tidal wave that devastated Galveston on Saturday, Sept. 8th, 1900, we equipped a party of photographers and sent them by special train to the scene of the ruins. Arriving at the scene of desolation shortly after the storm had swept over that city, our party succeeded, at the risk of life and limb, in taking about a thousand feet of moving pictures. In spite of the fact that Galveston was under martial law and that the photographers were shot down at sight by the excited police guards, a very wide range of subject has been secured. The series, taken as a whole, will give the entire world a definite idea of the terrible disaster, unequaled since the Johnstown flood of 1889"--Edison films catalog.
- Smith, Albert E. (Albert Edward), 1875-1958, production, camera.
- Vitagraph Company of America.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1900.
- - Hurricanes--Texas--Galveston
- - Shipwrecks--Texas--Galveston
- - Hurricane damage--Texas--Galveston
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - D18560 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 24Sept1900; D18560.
- - Camera, Albert E. Smith.
- - Duration: 0:59 at 16 fps.
- - Filmed between September 11-19, 1900, in Galveston, Texas.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1774) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 637; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 240; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 14-15 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 30 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4788 (viewing print)
- FEB 9400 (viewing print)
- FRA 1797 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5434 (dupe neg pic)
- FRB 0879 (master pos pic)
- Box 0073G (paper pos)
- Box 5166D (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Smith, Albert E. (Albert Edward)
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- Vitagraph Company of America
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Vitagraph Company Of America, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Panorama of Wreckage of Water Front. produceds by Smith, Albert E. , Uction, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694273/.
APA citation style:
Vitagraph Company Of America, Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1900) Panorama of Wreckage of Water Front. Smith, A. E., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694273/.
MLA citation style:
Vitagraph Company Of America, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Panorama of Wreckage of Water Front. prod by Smith, Albert E. , Uction, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1900. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694273/>.