Film, Video Rube and Mandy at Coney Island Rube and Mandy's visit to Coney Island
About this Item
- Rube and Mandy at Coney Island
- Rube and Mandy's visit to Coney Island
- "The first scene shows a country couple entering Steeplechase Park. They proceed to amuse themselves on the steeplechase, rope bridge, the "Down and Out" and riding the bulls. The scene then changes to a panorama of Luna Park, showing Rube and Mandy doing stunts on the rattan slide, riding on the miniature railway, shooting the chutes, riding the boats in the old mill, and visiting Professor Wormwood's Monkey theatre. They next appear on the Bowery, visiting the fortune tellers, striking the punching machine and winding up with the frankfurter man. The climax shows a bust view of Rube and Mandy eating frankfurters. Interesting for the humorous features, and the excellent views of Coney Island and Luna Park. 725 ft."--Edison films catalog no. 288.
- Porter, Edwin S., production, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1903.
- - Dating (Social customs)--Humor
- - Amusement parks--New York (State)--Humor
- - Amusement rides--New York (State)--Humor
- - Coney Island (New York, N.Y.)
- - Steeplechase Park (New York, N.Y.)
- - Luna Park (New York, N.Y.)
- Comedy films
- Silent films
- Short films
- Fiction films
- - H34528 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 13Aug1903; H34528.
- - Duration: about 12 minutes at 16 fps.
- - Filmed in 1903 at Coney Island in New York, New York.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 2725) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Before the nickelodeon, p. 249-250; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress, p. 280; Edison films catalog, no. 185, October supplement 1903, p. 16 [MI]; Edison films catalog, no. 288, July 1903, p. 79; American Film Institute catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 922-923.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (295 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (295 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 725 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (295 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 725 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 725 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 725 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 5678 (viewing print)
- FLA 5846 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FEB 9451 (viewing print)
- FRA 2516 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5044 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0262A (paper pos)
- Box 5203A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894-1915, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Rube and Mandy at Coney Island. produceds by Porter, Edwin S.Uction, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1903. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694289/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1903) Rube and Mandy at Coney Island. Porter, E. S. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694289/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Rube and Mandy at Coney Island. prod by Porter, Edwin S.Uction, Camera United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1903. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694289/>.