Film, Video S.S. "Coptic" in the harbor Steamship "Coptic" in the harbor
About this Item
- S.S. "Coptic" in the harbor
- Steamship "Coptic" in the harbor
- From F.Z. Maguire catalogue: Shows the vessel away from the dock and slowly turning. The vessel is seen to good advantage, the four masts, smokestack and hull being faithfully reproduced. Clouds of smoke pour out of the funnel, and volumes of steam out of the exhaust pipe. In the foreground is a dense crowd, among which are numerous Chinamen. Clear and sharp with figures life-size.
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Blechynden, Frederick, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1897.
- - Coptic (Ship)
- - Steamboats--California--San Francisco
- - Harbors--California--San Francisco
- - Passenger ships--California--San Francisco
- - Pacific Coast Steamship Company
- - Southern Pacific Railroad Company
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 60581 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 25Oct1897; 60581.
- - Camera, Frederick Blechynden.
- - Duration: 0:23 at 30 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0042) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed September 2, 1897, at San Francisco, California.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 336; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, 1985; F.Z. Maguire & Co. Catalogue, March 1898, p. 37.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- 1 film reel of 1 (19 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. Viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. Viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (19 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. Dupe neg pic.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm. Dupe neg pic.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. Paper pos.
- 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm. Paper pos (copy 2)
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3056 (viewing print)
- FEC 2758 (viewing print)
- FRA 0402 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 9574 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0457D (paper pos)
- Box 5529E (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Blechynden, Frederick
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- White, James H. (James Henry)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. S.S. "Coptic" in the harbor. produceds by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694292/.
APA citation style:
Blechynden, F., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1897) S.S. "Coptic" in the harbor. White, J. H. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694292/.
MLA citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. S.S. "Coptic" in the harbor. prod by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694292/>.