Film, Video The stenographer's friend, or, What was accomplished by an Edison business phonograph What was accomplished by an Edison business phonograph
About this Item
- The stenographer's friend, or, What was accomplished by an Edison business phonograph
- What was accomplished by an Edison business phonograph
- It's a busy day at the office, and the stenographer is exhausted from trying to keep up with the demands on her skills. Even when she stays late, she cannot catch up with all of the work. But then a man comes into the office to demonstrate the many advantages of the Edison System, his company's new business phonograph.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- Edison Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : [Edison Manufacturing Co., 1910]
- - Phonograph--Drama
- - Stenographers--United States--Drama
- - Thomas A. Edison, Inc.--Employees--Drama
- - Dictating machines--United States--Drama
- - Dictation (Office practice)--Drama
- - Shorthand--Transcription--Drama
- - Office practice--United States--Automation--Drama
- - Offices--United States--Drama
- - Sales personnel--United States--Drama
- - Sound recording industry--United States--Drama
- - Business--Drama
- - Cylinder recordings--Drama
- - Sound--Recording and reproducing--United States--Equipment and supplies--Drama
- Company promotion
- - J146440-43 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Edison Mfg. Co.; 29Sept1910; J146440-43 [scenes 1-4].
- - Duration: 4:10 (part 1) and 4:24 (part 2) at 16 fps.
- - MAVIS 16743; The stenographer's friend, or, What was accomplished by an Edison business phonograph.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Source used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912.
- - Received: 10-7-1982; viewing print and dupe neg pic; preservation; Edison Collection.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 9 min., ca. 225 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. viewing print.
- 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 9 min., ca. 225 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm. dupe neg pic.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FEB 6074 (viewing print)
- FPE 0424 (dupe neg pic)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Company Promotion
- Cylinder Recordings
- Dictating Machines
- Dictation (Office Practice)
- Equipment and Supplies
- Office Practice
- Recording and Reproducing
- Sales Personnel
- Sound Recording Industry
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- United States
- History of the Cylinder Phonograph | History of Edison Sound Recordings | Articles and Essays | Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies | Digital Collections
- Made to Persuade: Advertising and Promotional Films | Articles and Essays | National Screening Room | Digital Collections
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright or other restrictions in the vast majority of motion pictures in these collections. Absent any such restrictions, these materials are free to use and reuse.
In rare cases, copyrighted motion pictures are made available by special permission to the Library and may be used only for educational purposes. For example, the Gershwin home movies fall within this category. Rights assessment is your responsibility. No registration information exists for some titles, and reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in the United States or some foreign countries. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. You should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist you in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items for their desired uses. You should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions.
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Edison Collection. The stenographer's friend, or, What was accomplished by an Edison business phonograph. [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1910] Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694308/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Edison Collection. (1910) The stenographer's friend, or, What was accomplished by an Edison business phonograph. [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co] [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694308/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Edison Collection. The stenographer's friend, or, What was accomplished by an Edison business phonograph. [United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1910] Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694308/>.