Film, Video Surf at Monterey
About this Item
- Surf at Monterey
- From Edison films catalog: The water breaks over the rocks, and is dashed into silvery spray, high into the air. Exceptionally fine water effects. 50 feet. $7.50.
- Advertised as part of the "Southern Pacific Company Series" (Edison films catalog): The Southern Pacific Company ("Sunset Route") offers special inducements to winter travelers, by reason of its southern route, thereby avoiding the extreme cold of the winter months. Its course lies through a section of the country that presents a variety of beautiful and picturesque natural scenery. It is also the direct route to the popular resorts of Southern California, thereby making it a favorable route for tourists. The following subjects were taken by our artist while traveling over the very extensive lines of the Southern Pacific Railroad Co., to whom we are indebted for many courtesies, and without whose co-operation we should not have been able to bring before the public these animated photographs of interesting and novel scenes (p. 43).
- Contributor Names
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Blechynden, Frederick, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1897.
- Subject Headings
- - Ocean waves--California--Monterey
- - Seashore
- - Monterey (Calif.)
- - Pacific Coast (Calif.)
- - Tourism--California--Monterey
- - Southern Pacific Railroad Company
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- - 60587 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 25Oct1897; 60587.
- - Camera, Frederick Blechynden.
- - Duration: 0:25 at 30 fps.
- - Filmed ca. September 5, 1897, at Monterey, California.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 339; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 43 [MI].
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- ref print. 1 reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos. 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEC 2764 (ref print)
- LC 1141 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Thomas A. Edison, Inc
White, James H. (James Henry)
SubjectsActualities (Motion Pictures)
Pacific Coast (Calif.)
Southern Pacific Railroad Company
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Surf at Monterey. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694312/. (Accessed December 04, 2016.)
APA citation style:
Blechynden, F., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1897) Surf at Monterey. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694312/.
MLA citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Surf at Monterey. United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694312/>.