Film, Video Sutro Baths, no. 1
About this Item
- Sutro Baths, no. 1
- "One of the sights of San Francisco. A 50-foot slide is used by the bathers, who toboggan down its slippery surface in all positions. The bathers are clad in black trunks, making fine contrast with the flesh tints. 50 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- "In the background are three tiers of spectators watching the bathers. There are many people bathing and diving into the swimming pool. There is also a two-story slide down which many individuals can be seen descending into the water"--Early motion pictures.
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Blechynden, Frederick, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1897.
- - Sutro Baths (San Francisco, Calif.)
- - Swimming pools--California--San Francisco
- - Swimmers--California--San Francisco
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 60559 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 25Oct1897; 60559.
- - Camera, Frederick Blechynden.
- - Duration: 0:24 at 30 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1425) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed August 22, 1897, at the Sutro Baths in San Francisco, California.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 332-33; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 45 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (26 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 65 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (26 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 65 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 65 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4439 (viewing print)
- FEC 1124 (viewing print)
- FRA 1545 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0009F (paper pos)
- Box 5003E (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Blechynden, Frederick
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- White, James H. (James Henry)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894-1915, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Sutro Baths, no. 1. produceds by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694313/.
APA citation style:
Blechynden, F., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1897) Sutro Baths, no. 1. White, J. H. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694313/.
MLA citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Sutro Baths, no. 1. prod by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694313/>.