Film, Video Sutro Baths Sutro Baths, no. 2
About this Item
- Sutro Baths
- Sutro Baths, no. 2
- "Another view in which the figures show larger. A springboard furnishes the bathers with much amusement; also a toboggan slide. 50 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- "A large indoor swimming pool is shown, as well as the walkways that separate the varying depths of the water, and a sign identifying the locale on the wall farthest from the camera position. In the immediate foreground, camera right , is a slide that begins its incline high in the air above the water and affords entrance into the water below"--Early motion pictures.
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Blechynden, Frederick, camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1897.
- - Sutro Baths (San Francisco, Calif.)
- - Swimming pools--California--San Francisco
- - Swimmers--California--San Francisco
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 52619 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 20Sept1897; 52619.
- - Camera, Frederick Blechynden.
- - Duration: 0:24 at 30 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0005) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed August 22, 1897, at the Sutro Baths in San Francisco, California.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, 1997, p. 333; Niver, K.R. Early motion pictures, 1985; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 45 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3019 (viewing print)
- FEC 1495 (viewing print)
- FRA 0051 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 6795 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0351P (paper pos)
- Box 5288F (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Blechynden, Frederick
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- White, James H. (James Henry)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as holders of publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894-1915, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is eager to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Sutro Baths. produceds by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694314/.
APA citation style:
Blechynden, F., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1897) Sutro Baths. White, J. H. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694314/.
MLA citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Sutro Baths. prod by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1897. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694314/>.