Film, Video Troops at evacuation of Havana U.S. troops at evacuation of Havana / United States troops at evacuation of Havana
About this Item
- Troops at evacuation of Havana
- U.S. troops at evacuation of Havana
- United States troops at evacuation of Havana
- "The troops are turning into the Prado from a side street, where stands a triumphal arch erected by the Cubans, but which Gen. Brooke, the Military Governor of Cuba, would not permit to be finished, as he allowed no demonstrations of any kind. The soldiers are the First Texas troops. The streets are crowded with people. Many typical Cubans are seen lounging in the foreground, with here and there a Spaniard, if one may judge by sour looks and solemn demeanor. The buildings are all low stone structures, with heavy barred windows, from which are displayed small Cuban flags. An excellent picture of life in Havana, New Year Day, 1899"--Edison films catalog.
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1899.
- - Military ceremonies, honors, and salutes--Cuba--Havana
- - Spanish-American War, 1898
- - United States.--Army.--Texas Infantry Regiment, 1st (1898-1899)
- - Processions--Cuba--Havana
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 7258 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 20Jan1899; 7258.
- - Duration: 2:28 at 18 fps.
- - Possible producer credit from Edison motion pictures 1890-1900.
- - Filmed January 1, 1899, in Havana, Cuba.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 2227) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 478; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 337; Edison films catalog, no. 94, March 1900, p. 9 [MI]; American Film Institute catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 1102.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm dupe neg pic renumbered: FPE 9288 to FZA 2793.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (73 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 175 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (73 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 175 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 75 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 175 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 175 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 5241 (viewing print)
- FEC 2877 (viewing print)
- FRA 2189 (dupe neg pic)
- FZA 2793 (dupe neg pic)
- FRB 0805 (master pos pic)
- Box 0736A (paper pos)
- Box 5452A (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to the Spanish-American War in Motion Pictures for educational and research purposes. The Library is not aware of any copyrights or other rights associated with this Collection. However, users should note that the written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item.
U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba; and 25th Infantry are reproduced here courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association.
Credit Line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Troops at evacuation of Havana. produceds by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1899. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694322/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1899) Troops at evacuation of Havana. White, J. H. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694322/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Troops at evacuation of Havana. prod by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1899. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694322/>.