Film, Video Wash day in Mexico Washday in Mexico
About this Item
- Wash day in Mexico
- Washday in Mexico
- "Mexican International R. R. Series: the interesting views catalogued below were photographed by our artists, while enjoying the special privileges extended to Mr. Edison's party. Under a broad and intelligent management, the Mexican International is increasing its tourist business every year. The pictures show what a quaint and wonderful foreign country lies at the very gateway of our southern frontier"--Edison films catalog.
- "In front of each bare headed woman is a flat rock, used as a wash board. Stream of water near by. Naked Mexican child is playing in the foreground. 50 feet"--Edison films catalog.
- Blechynden, Frederick, camera.
- White, James H. (James Henry), production.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Edison Manufacturing Co., 1898.
- - Laundry--Mexico--Durango (Durango)
- - City and town life--Mexico--Durango (Durango)
- - Laundresses--Mexico--Durango (Durango)
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - 13544 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 24Feb1898; 13544.
- - Camera, Frederick Blechynden.
- - Duration: 0:27 at 30 fps.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1158) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Filmed ca. November or December, 1897, in Durango, Mexico.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Copyright catalog, motion pictures, 1894-1912; Musser, C. Edison motion pictures 1890-1900, p. 364-365; Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 354; Edison films catalog, no. 105, July 1901, p. 39 and 40 [MI].
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (20 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (20 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 50 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4172 (viewing print)
- FEB 9469 (viewing print)
- FRA 1337 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5191 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0082R (paper pos)
- Box 5064J (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D. C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Blechynden, Frederick
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- White, James H. (James Henry)
Rights & Access
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes and makes no warranty with regard to their use for other purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
While the Library is not aware of any U.S. copyright protection (see Title 17, U.S.C.) or any other restrictions in the materials in the Inventing Entertainment: The Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies, there may be content protected as "works for hire" (copyright may be held by the party that commissioned the original work) and/or under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. The Library is anxious to hear from individuals or institutions that have information about these materials or know of their history.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses.
The following films are reproduced courtesy of the Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 720, Oyster Bay, NY 11771: U.S. Troops Landing at Daiquirí, Cuba; Troops Making Military Road in Front of Santiago; Pack Mules with Ammunition on the Santiago Trail, Cuba.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Wash day in Mexico. produceds by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694328/.
APA citation style:
Blechynden, F., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1898) Wash day in Mexico. White, J. H. U., prod United States: Edison Manufacturing Co. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694328/.
MLA citation style:
Blechynden, Frederick, Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Wash day in Mexico. prod by White, James H. Uction United States: Edison Manufacturing Co, 1898. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694328/>.