Film, Video Esquimaux game of snap-the-whip Scene in the Esquimaux Village / Scene in Esquimaux Village / Eskimo game of snap-the-whip
About this Item
- Esquimaux game of snap-the-whip
- Scene in the Esquimaux Village
- Scene in Esquimaux Village
- Eskimo game of snap-the-whip
- "The film, photographed from a single camera position, shows a large tent of animal skins in front of which are two spectators watching two participants perform a game of skill using whips"--Early motion pictures.
- The picture [shows] a number of Esquimaux picking nickels from cracks in a board with their dog whips, in which sport they are very expert. In the background will be seen one of their "Topeks," a sealskin tent in which they live during their short summer.
- Porter, Edwin S., camera.
- White, James H. (James Henry), camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1901.
- - Eskimos--Games
- - Pan-American Exposition--(1901 :--Buffalo, N.Y.)
- - Exhibitions--New York (State)--Buffalo
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H7499 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 9Aug1901; H7499.
- - The Edison company distributed this film and the film "Esquimaux Game of Leap-frog" as one film, entitled "Scene in the Esquimaux Village."
- - Camera: Edwin S. Porter, James H. White.
- - Duration: 0:21 at 20 fps.
- - Photographed in Buffalo, New York sometime between the opening of the Pan-American Exposition, on May 1, 1901 and the copyright date for this film, August, 1901.
- - Part of summary from Edison films catalog, no. 135, excerpted from the film, Scene in the Esquimaux Village, to include only descriptions of scenes appearing in this film.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0745) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 92; AFI catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 315; Edison films catalog, no. 135, July 1902, p. 21.
- - paper pos (copy 2) Received: 1901-08-09; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - Paper print roll lacking suffix.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (17 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (24 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (17 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 15 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- master pos pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 25 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3759 (viewing print)
- FEC 3079 (viewing print)
- FRA 1004 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 5108 (dupe neg pic)
- FRB 0843 (master pos pic)
- FPE 5109 (master pos pic)
- Box 0300C (paper pos)
- Box 5519 (paper pos, copy 2)
- Niver (Kemp) Collection (Library of Congress)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Last Days of a President: Films of McKinley and the Pan-American Exposition, 1901 (36)
- America at Work, America at Leisure: Motion Pictures from 1894 to 1915 (158)
- Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies (431)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,505)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,367,475)
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Porter, Edwin S.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc
- White, James H. (James Henry)
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in these collections. As is indicated in the cataloging, most of the titles were registered for copyright prior to 1916. (No registration information exists for some titles.) The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses. Users should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Porter, Edwin S., Camera, James H White, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Esquimaux Game of Snap-The-Whip. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1901. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694349/.
APA citation style:
Porter, E. S., White, J. H., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1901) Esquimaux Game of Snap-The-Whip. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694349/.
MLA citation style:
Porter, Edwin S., Camera, et al. Esquimaux Game of Snap-The-Whip. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694349/>.