Film, Video Taking President McKinley's body from train at Canton, Ohio Body leaving the train at Canton, Ohio / Body leaving the train, Canton, Ohio
About this Item
- Taking President McKinley's body from train at Canton, Ohio
- Body leaving the train at Canton, Ohio
- Body leaving the train, Canton, Ohio
- "Here, as in the other pictures, we secured a most advantageous location, and we present a life-size view of the casket containing the body of President McKinley as it is slowly and carefully taken from the window of the car which bore it from the Capitol to Canton. The casket is placed upon the shoulders of ten stalwart sailors and soldiers and borne to the waiting hearse. 60 ft."--Edison films catalog, no. 135.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1901.
- - McKinley, William,--1843-1901--Death and burial
- - Presidents--United States--Death
- - Funeral rites and ceremonies--Ohio--Canton
- - Railroad stations--Ohio--Canton
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H9083 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 26Sept1901; H9083.
- - Duration: 0:59 at 15 fps.
- - Location: Canton, Ohio. Photographed September 18, 1901.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 0019) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 319; American Film Institute catalog, film beginnings, 1893-1910, p. 1043; Edison films catalog, no. 135, September, 1902, p. 16; Edison films catalog, no. 225, July, 1904, p. 59.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (29 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (58 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (29 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 60 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 3033 (viewing print)
- FEC 1637 (viewing print)
- FRA 2132 (dupe neg pic)
- FPE 7101 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0746F (paper pos)
- Box 5283E (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Last Days of a President: Films of McKinley and the Pan-American Exposition, 1901 (36)
- Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies (432)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,006)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,479,749)
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in these collections. As is indicated in the cataloging, most of the titles were registered for copyright prior to 1916. (No registration information exists for some titles.) The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses. Users should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Taking President McKinley's body from train at Canton, Ohio. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1901. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694355/.
APA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1901) Taking President McKinley's body from train at Canton, Ohio. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694355/.
MLA citation style:
Thomas A. Edison, Inc, and Paper Print Collection. Taking President McKinley's body from train at Canton, Ohio. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694355/>.