Film, Video Execution of Czolgosz, with panorama of Auburn Prison
About this Item
- Execution of Czolgosz, with panorama of Auburn Prison
- The film begins by showing railroad cars in the foreground with the overshadowing walls of a state prison in the background. The second camera position, from a higher elevation, pans slowly showing the yard interior of the prison and some of the large buildings. There is a dissolve from the exterior to the interior, a set of a stone wall with an iron barred door. Uniformed men are visible; they open the door and remove a man in civilian clothes. The camera then dissolves to another set in which there is a chair with wires attached. The man in civilian clothes is brought in and strapped to the chair. At the end of the film, two of the six witnesses examine him with stethoscopes.
- "A detailed reproduction of the execution of the assassin of President McKinley faithfully carried out from the description of an eye witness. The picture is in three scenes. First: Panoramic view of Auburn Prison taken the morning of the electrocution. The picture then dissolves into the corridor of murderer's row. The keepers are seen taking Czolgosz from his cell to the death chamber, and shows State Electrician, Wardens and Doctors making final test of the chair. Czolgosz is then brought in by the guard and is quickly strapped into the chair. The current is turned on at a signal from the Warden, and the assassin heaves heavily as though the straps would break. He drops prone after the current is turned off. The doctors examine the body and report to the Warden that he is dead, and he in turn officially announces the death to the witness. 200 ft."--Edison films catalog.
- Porter, Edwin S., camera.
- Thomas A. Edison, Inc.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
Created / Published
- United States : Thomas A. Edison, Inc., 1901.
- - Czolgosz, Leon F.,--1873?-1901--Death and burial
- - Executions and executioners--New York (State)--Auburn
- - Electrocution--New York (State)--Auburn
- - Assassins--United States--Death
- - Auburn Prison
- Historical reenactments (Motion pictures)
- Silent films
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- - H10605 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: Thomas A. Edison; 9Nov1901; H10605.
- - Duration: 3:24 at 15 fps.
- - Camera: Edwin S. Porter.
- - Viewing print and dupe neg pic (16 mm.) have titles added during restoration.
- - Paper print shelf number (LC 1595) was changed when the paper prints were re-housed.
- - Additional holdings for this title may be available. Contact reference librarian.
- - LC also holds material for this title in the Kleine (George) Collection.
- - Location: Studio, New York City; Auburn, New York, probably in 1901.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - Sources used: Niver, K. Early motion pictures, p. 94; George Kleine Collection...catalog, p. 36; Edison films catalog, no. 135, Sept., 1902, p. 91.
- - Early motion pictures : the Paper Print Collection in the Library of Congress / by Kemp R. Niver. Library of Congress. 1985.
- - 35 mm viewing print renumbered: FEC 1122 to FYA 1435.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (84 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- viewing print 1 film reel of 1 (196 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (84 ft.) : si., b&w ; 16 mm.
- dupe neg pic 1 film reel of 1 (196 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos 1 roll of 1 (ca. 200 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos (copy 2) 1 roll of 1 (ca. 200 ft.) : b&w ; 35 mm.
Call Number/Physical Location
- FLA 4609 (viewing print)
- FYA 1435 (viewing print)
- FRA 1638 (dupe neg pic)
- FPF 6436 (dupe neg pic)
- Box 0110A (paper pos)
- Box 5020D (paper pos, copy 2)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
Library of Congress Control Number
Additional Metadata Formats
- Last Days of a President: Films of McKinley and the Pan-American Exposition, 1901 (36)
- Inventing Entertainment: The Early Motion Pictures and Sound Recordings of the Edison Companies (431)
- Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division (1,504)
- Library of Congress Online Catalog (1,359,664)
Rights & Access
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in these collections. As is indicated in the cataloging, most of the titles were registered for copyright prior to 1916. (No registration information exists for some titles.) The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses. Users should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.
More information about American Memory and Copyright.
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Porter, Edwin S., Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Execution of Czolgosz, with panorama of Auburn Prison. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1901. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/00694362/.
APA citation style:
Porter, E. S., Thomas A. Edison, I. & Paper Print Collection. (1901) Execution of Czolgosz, with panorama of Auburn Prison. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694362/.
MLA citation style:
Porter, Edwin S., Camera, Inc Thomas A. Edison, and Paper Print Collection. Execution of Czolgosz, with panorama of Auburn Prison. United States: Thomas A. Edison, Inc, 1901. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/00694362/>.