Film, Video Panorama from Times Building, New York /
About this Item
- Panorama from Times Building, New York /
- The view is from the top of the then newly-erected Times Building, at a height of approximately twenty stories. The film opens with a vertical pan, going from the street below up to the sky. The photographer then makes a pan to the north over the tops of the buildings from Bryant Park, south of 42nd Street (behind the New York Public Library) [Frame: 1078] up 6th Avenue to the Hippodrome Theatre at 43rd Street . A marquee on the theater reads "A Yankee Circus On Mars." The camera continues to rotate toward 44th and 45th Streets between 6th and 7th Avenues, until coming to rest looking directly north up Times Square to 46th Street, where Broadway (left) and 7th Avenue (right) diverge again .
- Contributor Names
- McCutcheon, Wallace, camera.
- American Mutoscope and Biograph Company.
- Paper Print Collection (Library of Congress)
- Created / Published
- United States : American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1905.
- Subject Headings
- - New York (N.Y.)--Buildings, structures, etc
- - Commercial buildings--New York (State)--New York
- - Skyscrapers--New York (State)--New York
- - Streets--New York (State)--New York
- - Keith-Albee's New York Hippodrome
- - Times Square (New York, N.Y.)
- Silent films
- Travelogues (Motion pictures)
- Short films
- Nonfiction films
- Actualities (Motion pictures)
- - H59310 U.S. Copyright Office
- - Copyright: American Mutoscope & Biograph Co.; 11Apr1905; H59310.
- - Duration: 2:04 at 15 fps.
- - Camera, Wallace McCutcheon.
- - MAVIS 1627547; Panorama from Times Building, New York.
- - Photographed April, 1905. Location: Broadway and 7th Avenue, between 42nd and 43rd Streets, New York, N.Y.
- - Available also through the Library of Congress Web site as digital files.
- - viewing prints and dupe neg; Received: 1991 from LC lab; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - neg pic; Received: 1989/90 from UCLA; preservation; Paper Print Collection.
- - paper pos; Received: 1905-04-11; copyright deposit; Paper Print Collection.
- viewing print. 1 film reel of 1 (288 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- viewing print (copy 2) 1 film reel of 1 (288 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- dupe neg. 1 film reel of 1 (288 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- neg pic. 1 film reel of 1 (288 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- paper pos. 1 roll (288 ft.) : si., b&w ; 35 mm.
- Call Number/Physical Location
- FEB 9829 (viewing print)
- FEB 9790 (viewing print, copy 2)
- FPE 5560 (dupe neg)
- FPE 5618 (neg pic)
- LC 2119 (paper pos)
- Library of Congress Motion Picture, Broadcasting and Recorded Sound Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA dcu
- Digital Id
- Library of Congress Control Number
- Online Format
- LCCN Permalink
- Library of Congress Online Catalog
- Additional Metadata Formats
- MARCXML Record
- MODS Record
- Dublin Core Record
ContributorsAmerican Mutoscope and Biograph Company
Paper Print Collection (library of Congress)
New York City
One Times Square
SubjectsActualities (motion Pictures)
Buildings, Structures, Etc
Keith-Albee's New York Hippodrome
New York (n.y.)
New York (state)
One Times Square (new York, N.Y.)
Times Square (new York, N.Y.)
Travelogues (motion Pictures)
Rights assessment is your responsibility.
Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division, Library of Congress
The Library of Congress is providing access to these materials for educational and research purposes. The written permission of the copyright owners and/or other rights holders (such as publicity and/or privacy rights) is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions.
The Library of Congress is not aware of any U.S. copyright in the motion pictures in these collections. As is indicated in the cataloging, most of the titles were registered for copyright prior to 1916. (No registration information exists for some titles.) The Library notes that the reproduction of some titles may be restricted by privacy rights, publicity rights, licensing and trademarks. Additionally, some works may still be protected by copyright in some foreign countries.
Responsibility for making an independent legal assessment of an item and securing any necessary permissions ultimately rests with persons desiring to use the item. Users should consult the catalog information that accompanies each item for specific information. This catalog data provides the details known to the Library of Congress regarding the corresponding item and may assist users in making independent assessments of the legal status of these items as related to their desired uses. Users should also consult restrictions associated with donations to the Library.
Suggested credit line: Library of Congress, Motion Picture, Broadcasting, and Recorded Sound Division.More information about American Memory and Copyright.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Mccutcheon, Wallace, Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Panorama from Times Building, New York. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1905. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694370/. (Accessed August 28, 2016.)
APA citation style:
McCutcheon, W., American Mutoscope And Biograph Company & Paper Print Collection. (1905) Panorama from Times Building, New York. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/00694370/.
MLA citation style:
Mccutcheon, Wallace, Camera, American Mutoscope And Biograph Company, and Paper Print Collection. Panorama from Times Building, New York. United States: American Mutoscope and Biograph Company, 1905. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <https://www.loc.gov/item/00694370/>.